How to Program Data Retrieval from Sensors for Beginners?

In summary: There are many programs that can collect and process data from external devices (and send data to them) - LabVIEW, MATLAB, self-written code, ...In summary, to get started learning how to write a program to display and manipulate information from various sensors, you need to first look at the way the sensors transmit their data, and then look for a program that can read that data.
blkexp98
How do you get started learning how to write a program to display and manipulate information from various sensors? What I am mainly interested in are volts and mA's since that's what most transducers and sensors use. I would like to be able to see the information on a computer or eventually on a dedicated LCD screen but I think that's a little ambitious at this point. One of my pressure modules can be read via Hyperterminal but I would like to have a dedicated program to show various sensors all at once. I am just at a loss at where to start looking for help.

For example I have seen a companies program where they had its reading about 6 pressure transducers to make various calculations to give useful data. The guy who wrote the program was there but it wasnt a situation where I could take the time to ask about it.

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many programs that can collect and process data from external devices (and send data to them) - LabView, MATLAB, self-written code, ...
You always need some device to convert analog data (like voltages and currents) to digital data, of course.

blkexp98 said:
How do you get started learning how to write a program to display and manipulate information from various sensors? What I am mainly interested in are volts and mA's since that's what most transducers and sensors use. I would like to be able to see the information on a computer or eventually on a dedicated LCD screen but I think that's a little ambitious at this point. One of my pressure modules can be read via Hyperterminal but I would like to have a dedicated program to show various sensors all at once. I am just at a loss at where to start looking for help.

For example I have seen a companies program where they had its reading about 6 pressure transducers to make various calculations to give useful data. The guy who wrote the program was there but it wasnt a situation where I could take the time to ask about it.

Thanks for any help.

You need to first start by looking at how your various sensors transmit their data. Some only have analog outputs (putting out a voltage or current), so as mfb says, you need to digitize those analog values with some sort of data aquisition device, before the data can be read by a PC or laptop. Many sensors put out their data in some digital form, like via a USB connector or RS-232 connector (hence the HyperTerminal application can read their data). Others interface with microcontrollers via I2C or SPI or other serial data interfaces.

Here is some introductory information from National Instruments:

http://www.ni.com/data-acquisition/...arch&nicam=Measurements&nigrp=DataAcquisition

:smile:

Have a look at the mbed website. It has adc and dac capability as well as an easy interface (USB cable) to LabVIEW. I'm trying to use it to simulate a front panel of a CHP unit at the moment.
I've found the online compiler to be very useful and there is code online that can be manipulated to suit.

There may be better ways, but as someone starting out I found the mbed to be user friendly.

I understand the importance of retrieving data from sensors and the challenges that come with it. To get started learning how to write a program to display and manipulate information from various sensors, I would suggest starting with some basic programming courses or tutorials. This will help you understand the fundamentals of programming and give you a solid foundation to build upon.

Once you have a good understanding of programming, you can then move on to learning about specific programming languages and libraries that are commonly used for data manipulation and display. Some popular languages for this purpose include Python, Java, and C++. These languages have a wide range of libraries and frameworks that can help you interface with sensors and display data in various formats.

In terms of your specific interest in volts and mA's, you may want to look into specific libraries or modules that are designed for interfacing with sensors that use these units. These libraries can provide you with the necessary tools and functions to easily retrieve and manipulate data from your sensors.

Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to other scientists or engineers who have experience with similar projects. They can provide valuable insights and advice on the best approach for your specific needs.

Lastly, don't be afraid to experiment and try different approaches. Learning to write programs for sensor data manipulation and display takes time and practice. By starting with the basics and gradually building upon your knowledge, you will eventually be able to create a program that meets your specific needs. Good luck!

Related to How to Program Data Retrieval from Sensors for Beginners?

1. How do sensors retrieve data?

Sensors retrieve data using various techniques such as measuring changes in electrical resistance, detecting changes in light intensity, or sensing changes in temperature or pressure. They convert these physical changes into electrical signals that can be processed and analyzed.

2. What types of sensors are commonly used for data retrieval?

There are many types of sensors used for data retrieval, including temperature sensors, pressure sensors, light sensors, motion sensors, and chemical sensors. The type of sensor used depends on the specific application and the type of data needed.

3. How accurate is the data retrieved from sensors?

The accuracy of data retrieved from sensors depends on various factors such as the type of sensor, the calibration and maintenance of the sensor, and the environmental conditions. Generally, sensors can provide highly accurate data with proper calibration and maintenance.

4. How is the data retrieved from sensors processed and analyzed?

Data retrieved from sensors is typically processed and analyzed using computer software. This software can manipulate the data, perform calculations, and present the data in a user-friendly format for further analysis and interpretation.

5. Can data retrieved from sensors be used for real-time monitoring?

Yes, data retrieved from sensors can be used for real-time monitoring. This is especially useful in applications such as weather forecasting or industrial processes where immediate data is needed for decision making. Real-time monitoring requires sensors with high accuracy and fast response times.