How to number nodal and anti nodal lines

• Thread starter julianwitkowski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines Nodal
In summary, the student is having trouble understanding how to determine which nodal and antinodal line numbers are supposed to be attached to the corresponding line. There are two schemes for numbering the lines, A and B. Scheme A assigns nodal lines a number from 1 to n, while Scheme B assigns order numbers, usually denoted m, to the antinodes and nodes. The student is unsure which scheme to use for the image they provided of two sources in-phase. When the sources are out of phase, the student is told that the centre nodal line is numbered 1.
julianwitkowski

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding how you are supposed to decide which nodal and antinodal line numbers are supposed to be attached to the corresponding line.

Homework Equations

https://roncalliphysics.wikispaces.com/Year+13+Double+Slit+Interference

I've read this and other links, and also the information provided to complete the work.
In the school book it says anti nodal lines should be m and only m should be in the center with a value of 0.

I'm talking about these numbers here and how they apply to path difference and wavelength equations.

nodal_lines.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I read at the link it sounds like P should be n=2...
From what I read in my school book it sounds like for P n=3...
It also gives integer values to the anti nodal lines instead of decimals.

The answer is really going to determine the grade so I need to know which one is right?

1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram shows two sources in-phase. Your image seems to show two sources antiphase.

Likes julianwitkowski
As for the numbering, there seem to be two schemes (http://www.wikiphys.org/images/TwoSource.pdf).

Assuming the sources are in phase:

Scheme A:
Nodal lines are numbered as first , second etc. (1, 2, ...)
Antinodal lines are zeroth, first, second...

Scheme B:
The lines are assigned 'order numbers', usually denoted m. The antinodes get integer values 0, 1, 2 (so are equal to their antinodal numbers), while the nodes get the halfway numbers, m = 1/2, 3/2, ...

Likes julianwitkowski
Do you know when it is out of phase and you get a centre nodal line, is it numbered 1?

It sounds like only when it is in phase you get a centre anti nodal = 0.

(for the first scheme) I'm reading but It's hard to find an answer to this specific question.

julianwitkowski said:
when it is out of phase and you get a centre nodal line, is it numbered 1?
I have no idea. Maybe there is no standard numbering for anything except the in-phase case. How would one standardise it so that it works for any phase relationship?

Likes julianwitkowski
P must be 2... I know you can't measure, but does this look right to you for the image I posted.

They ask to measure the wavelength, source paths to P, and the distance between source, and to provide the completed wavelength equation for this situation. Is this the right equation they want me to provide.

Path Difference = |6λ - 8λ| = (n-½)λ = 2λ-½λ = 2λ = 1.2 = 12mm

It works with my measurements...

λ = 0.8cm
P = 2
PnS1 = 48mm = 6λ
PnS2 = 64mm = 8λ

julianwitkowski said:
P must be 2... I know you can't measure, but does this look right to you for the image I posted.

They ask to measure the wavelength, source paths to P, and the distance between source, and to provide the completed wavelength equation for this situation. Is this the right equation they want me to provide.

Path Difference = |6λ - 8λ| = (n-½)λ = 2λ-½λ = 2λ = 1.2 = 12mm

It works with my measurements...

λ = 0.8cm
P = 2
PnS1 = 48mm = 6λ
PnS2 = 64mm = 8λ
Can't make much sense of your algebra there (2λ-½λ = 2λ ?), but I agree that since the sources seem to be antiphase the point P should be two wavelengths further from one than from the other.

Likes julianwitkowski
haruspex said:
Can't make much sense of your algebra there (2λ-½λ = 2λ ?)

This is why ignorance = bliss. What am I doing...

Path Difference = |6λ - 8λ| = 2λ = 1.6cm but (n-½)λ = 2λ-½λ = 1.5λ = 12mm

This means that either Path Difference ≠ 2λ, or n ≠2, or λ ≠ = 0.8cm...

My problem is that the measurements are pretty accurate, which suggests n = 2.5...
Is there anyway this is possible?

julianwitkowski said:
Path Difference = |6λ - 8λ| = 2λ = 1.6cm but (n-½)λ = 2λ-½λ = 1.5λ = 12mm
OK, but I don't understand where you are getting n-½ from in this context. Isn't that for in-phase sources? As you say, the path length difference in the image is 2λ.

haruspex said:
OK, but I don't understand where you are getting n-½ from in this context. Isn't that for in-phase sources? As you say, the path length difference in the image is 2λ.
What equation is used for sources that are out of phase?

Do they just want Path Difference = nλ...

julianwitkowski said:
Do they just want Path Difference = nλ...
Yes, except perhaps in the form λ = ...

Likes julianwitkowski
haruspex said:
Yes, except perhaps in the form λ = ...
Thanks for all your help. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Related to How to number nodal and anti nodal lines

1. What are nodal and anti-nodal lines?

Nodal and anti-nodal lines are imaginary lines that represent the distribution of energy in a standing wave. Nodal lines are points where the amplitude of the wave is zero, while anti-nodal lines are points where the amplitude is at its maximum.

2. How do you determine the number of nodal and anti-nodal lines in a standing wave?

The number of nodal and anti-nodal lines in a standing wave depends on the wavelength and the boundary conditions of the system. For a given wavelength, the number of nodal lines is one less than the number of anti-nodal lines.

3. What is the significance of nodal and anti-nodal lines in physics?

Nodal and anti-nodal lines play an important role in determining the properties of a standing wave, such as its frequency and energy. They also help in understanding the behavior of waves in different systems, including musical instruments and electromagnetic fields.

4. How are nodal and anti-nodal lines numbered in a standing wave?

Nodal and anti-nodal lines are numbered based on their position from the boundary of the system. The first nodal line is always at the boundary, and the number increases as you move towards the center of the wave. The first anti-nodal line is located halfway between two neighboring nodal lines.

5. Can the number of nodal and anti-nodal lines change in a standing wave?

Yes, the number of nodal and anti-nodal lines can change when the wavelength or boundary conditions of the system are altered. For example, when the wavelength is increased, the number of nodal and anti-nodal lines also increases. Similarly, changing the boundary conditions can also change the number of these lines.