How to model internal resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of measuring total voltage by setting up a coil with thin wire, pushing a magnet through it, and connecting either end to a voltmeter. There is confusion about modeling a battery as an inductor and the correct way to model a DC or AC voltage source. The conversation also mentions using equations to calculate EMF and the potential difference revealed by the voltmeter.
Cspeed
If I set up a coil with thin wire, push a magnet through it, and connect either end to a voltmeter (in series), then is this an accurate way to measure the total voltage? I might not be phrasing this right, so ask me to clarify if I should. I'm guessing that you can't just simplify a circuit like this by drawing a battery as the inductor and just add a resistor to the side which stands for the internal resistance. Or can you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you model a battery as an inductor? And I don't know what you're trying to ask.

I'm guessing that you can't just simplify a circuit like this by drawing a battery as the inductor and just add a resistor to the side which stands for the internal resistance.

Are you trying to model an ac or a dc source?
The usual model for a dc battery is an ideal voltage generator in parallel with a resistor...if you are trying to model an ac voltage source, typically a rotating piece of machinery such as an alternator, I'm sure there are standard models available...

I might not be using the terms correctly, as I'm only a beginner with circuitry. I used the term inductor to describe a source of voltage. I'll assume that it's DC (a coil of wires that have magnetic flux go from A to B).

Using equations for the area of the loops, the number of turns, and the magnetic field, I can get the EMF. Now, let's assume that using equations gives me an EMF of 50 V. If those coils of wire have an internal resistance known to be 20 ohms, then will connecting a voltmeter to the circuit reveal a 50 V difference between either end of the voltage source?

Related to How to model internal resistance

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the resistance that exists within a power source, such as a battery or generator. It is caused by the materials and design of the power source and can affect its performance.

2. Why is internal resistance important to model?

Modeling internal resistance is important because it allows us to understand how a power source will behave under different conditions and how it may impact the overall circuit or system. It can also help us determine the lifespan and efficiency of the power source.

3. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter or other specialized equipment. It is typically measured by applying a known load to the power source and measuring the voltage drop across it.

4. What factors affect the internal resistance of a power source?

The internal resistance of a power source can be affected by a number of factors, including the materials used, the design and construction of the power source, temperature, and the age and condition of the power source.

5. How can internal resistance be modeled mathematically?

Internal resistance can be modeled mathematically using Ohm's law, which states that the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to the current through the resistor multiplied by its resistance. This equation can be applied to the internal resistance of a power source to calculate the voltage drop and current under different conditions.