How to make: 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate in Acohol?

• Thread starter Seerath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, creating 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate in Alcohol involves dissolving Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate powder in a specific amount of pure alcohol and mixing it thoroughly until a clear solution is formed. The resulting solution can then be used for various applications, such as in antiperspirants, water treatment, and as a catalyst in chemical reactions. Proper safety precautions should be followed when handling the chemicals.
Seerath
I want to make an antiperspirant myself, i am a bit confuse about the hexahydrate part, for instance i let AlCl3 powder in open for a few days to absorb humidity what is the next step? i am an art student but i wasn't that bad in chemistry in school, it was just my lack of interest in this particular subject.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sorry, but due to their potential health hazards, we will not help you prepare your own medicines or cosmetics.

Topic locked.

Related to How to make: 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate in Acohol?

1. How do I calculate the amount of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate needed?

To make a 20% solution of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate in alcohol, you will need to calculate the amount of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate needed based on the desired final volume of the solution. This can be done using the following formula:
Amount of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate (g) = (Desired final volume (mL) x 20% concentration) / 100
For example, if you want to make 100 mL of a 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate solution, you will need (100 mL x 20%)/100 = 20 grams of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate.

2. Can I use any type of alcohol to make this solution?

No, it is important to use a specific type of alcohol when making a solution of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate. Ethanol or isopropyl alcohol are commonly used and recommended for this purpose. Other types of alcohol may not dissolve the Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate properly, resulting in an ineffective solution.

3. What is the purpose of making a 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate solution?

A 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate solution is commonly used in laboratory settings as a reagent and catalyst in various chemical reactions. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and water treatment. The 20% concentration is a standard and effective concentration for many applications.

4. How do I properly mix the Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate in the alcohol?

To make a 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate solution, you will need to measure out the appropriate amount of Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate and add it to the desired amount of alcohol in a clean and dry container. Stir or shake the solution until all the Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate is dissolved. It is important to use a clean container to avoid contamination and to ensure proper mixing.

5. How should I store the 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate solution?

The 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate solution should be stored in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place. Exposure to moisture or extreme temperatures can affect the stability and effectiveness of the solution. It is also important to label the container with the date and concentration of the solution for future reference.