How to know if this irrational function has no asymptotes?

In summary, the function F(x) = x+1-3sqrt((x-1)/(ax+1)) has two asymptotes when a>0 and one vertical asymptote when a<0. However, there is no value of a that will result in no asymptotes. The only possible value for a is 0, which would result in an oblique asymptote. However, this function does not have an oblique asymptote. Instead, it has an asymptotic direction in the form of a parabolic branch. The domain of this function is dependent on the value of a.
Jeanclaud
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dat
F(x)=x+1-3sqrt((x-1)/(ax+1))
For which value of a ,(c) has no asymptote?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if a>0 then (c) will have 2 asymptote
And if a<o then (c) will have 1 vertical asymptote.
But I can't find any value of a so that (c) has no asymptote. Please give me some hints thank you.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is leftover after you have eliminated a>0 and a<0? There is only one value possible.

RUber said:
What is leftover after you have eliminated a>0 and a<0? There is only one value possible.
a=0? But still it has an O.A.

I don't see what you are saying? Your denominator would be (0x+1) = 1.

I see now...you meant Oblique Asymptote.
I don't think this would have one.
By scale, yes -- the trend is in the direction of y = x as x gets large, but you can't argue that the function value gets closer to the line in the limit.

Jeanclaud said:
a=0? But still it has an O.A.
If a = 1, the part inside the radical approaches 1 for large values of |x|. That will give you an oblique asymptote.
RUber said:
I don't see what you are saying? Your denominator would be (0x+1) = 1.
The OP hasn't been very clear, but I think the asymptotes he's referring to are one that's oblique and one that's vertical.

RUber said:
I see now...you meant Oblique Asymptote.
I don't think this would have one.
By scale, yes -- the trend is in the direction of y = x as x gets large, but you can't argue that the function value gets closer to the line in the limit.
Then it will have only an asymptotic direction (parabolic branch). Thank you.

Jeanclaud said:
Then it will have only an asymptotic direction (parabolic branch). Thank you.
Determine the domain of this function. That, of course, depends upon the value of a .

Related to How to know if this irrational function has no asymptotes?

1. How do I determine if an irrational function has any asymptotes?

The first step is to simplify the function as much as possible. Then, look for any terms with a variable in the denominator. If the variable can be canceled out completely, then there are no asymptotes. Otherwise, continue to the next step.

Next, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for the variable. If there is no solution, then the function has no vertical asymptotes. If there is a solution, then the function may have a vertical asymptote at that value.

Lastly, check for any horizontal asymptotes by finding the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then there is a horizontal asymptote at that value.

2. Can an irrational function have both vertical and horizontal asymptotes?

Yes, an irrational function can have both vertical and horizontal asymptotes. This occurs when the function has a vertical asymptote at a certain value and a horizontal asymptote at a different value.

3. How does the degree of the numerator and denominator affect the presence of asymptotes?

The degree of the numerator and denominator can impact the presence of asymptotes. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, then there may be a slant asymptote. If the degree of the numerator is equal to or less than the degree of the denominator, then there may be a horizontal asymptote or no asymptotes at all.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to identify asymptotes?

Yes, a graphing calculator can be a useful tool in identifying asymptotes. Graph the function and look for any vertical or horizontal lines that the function approaches but does not touch. These are the vertical and horizontal asymptotes, respectively.

5. Are there any other types of asymptotes besides vertical and horizontal?

Yes, there are also slant asymptotes and removable asymptotes. Slant asymptotes occur when the function approaches a straight line as x approaches positive or negative infinity. Removable asymptotes occur when there is a hole in the graph of the function at a certain point, but the function still approaches a finite value at that point.