How to interpret magnetic field diagrams?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding a diagram that shows the relationship between electron motion, magnetic field direction, and the resulting force on the electron. The person has tried looking in the textbook and course website but has not found a clear explanation. They are asking if there is an equation that can help them understand the diagram better.
Dan13
Homework Statement
The right half of the x-y plane is filled with a uniform magnetic field of
magnitude B pointing out of the page as shown in Fig. 2-1. A charged
particle of mass m enters the magnetic field region along the negative x axis
in the positive x direction with speed v. The magnitude of the charge is
denoted by q. The trajectory of the particle describes a semi-circle as shown
in Fig. 2-1. Answer the following questions.
(1) Is the charge of the particle positive or negative?
(2) Find the magnitude of the force on the particle.
(3) Find the radius of the circular orbit.
(4) Find the time it takes the particle to travel from O to P.
Relevant Equations
1) I'l have and idea to determinate the charge of this particle using the rule of the right or left hand but I'm having trouble interpreting the diagram to fir this rules in order to determinate the charge but I'm not able to do it.
2) I have a problem here I think there is no force here because as I see the image there's is a angle of 0 between the particle anthems magnetic field and due to F=qvSenθ there's no force.
3) I've tried to rearrange the formula of force and speed but haven't achieved something.
4) Here I have no idea about how to solve this.
I'd be grateful if some one help me to solve this I've tried to investigate and read but I haven't found the topics also if you could be so kind of leaving the topics of this problems or any resources it would be great a list for me to investigate
?hash=386c0efdf852d60ae7deba832cf1dba3.jpg

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190805-195216_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190805-195216_Drive.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 267
Physics news on Phys.org
I will tell you things and you can ask questions.
The symbol next to the B field is the tip of an arrow meaning B points out of the page at you.

Likes Dan13
Have you tried looking in the textbook (or course website)?

Mister T said:
Have you tried looking in the textbook (or course website)?
I tried in the tutorial and formulay section but I just find the equation for the radius but I'd like to know where does it come I also found information for the force in the particule as I wrote in the relevant equation section but nothing related with a diagram like this, and that's my real problem here I can't interpret this diagram I can't find how useful the diagram would be

Can you find an equation that relates the electron motion and the magnetic field direction to the force on the electron? (Note: all are vectors)

Related to How to interpret magnetic field diagrams?

1. What is a magnetic field diagram?

A magnetic field diagram is a visual representation of the direction and strength of the magnetic field at different points in space around a magnet or current-carrying wire. It is typically depicted using field lines, which show the direction of the magnetic field at any given point.

2. How do you read a magnetic field diagram?

To read a magnetic field diagram, look at the field lines. The lines always point from the north pole of a magnet to the south pole, or in the direction of the magnetic field from a current-carrying wire. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the magnetic field is at that point.

3. What do the different colors on a magnetic field diagram represent?

The colors on a magnetic field diagram represent the strength of the magnetic field. Typically, red indicates areas of high magnetic field strength, while blue indicates areas of low magnetic field strength.

4. What factors affect the shape of a magnetic field diagram?

The shape of a magnetic field diagram is affected by the strength and orientation of the magnet or current-carrying wire, as well as the presence of any other nearby magnetic or electric fields. Additionally, the shape of the diagram may change depending on the distance from the source of the field.

5. How can magnetic field diagrams be used in real-world applications?

Magnetic field diagrams are used in various real-world applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices. They are also used in geology to map the Earth's magnetic field and in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).