How to Find the Resultant Wave Equation of Two Plane Waves?

In summary, the homework statement is that two plane waves exist with the same frequency and vibrations in the z direction. The equation for the resultant wave is found using the sin(A+ B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB formula. If it is possible to answer my last question in the previous post you will make my day more than great :) Thanks again.
thebigstar25

Homework Statement

I have two plane waves, one of the form: 4 sin(20t + (pi/3)x + pi), and the other one: 2 sin(20t +(pi/4)y + pi) .. with the same frequency and vibrations in the z direction ..

I am asked to find the resultant wave equation at x = 5 and y =2

Homework Equations

maybe x = r costheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer to this question as 2.48sin(20t-0.2pi), I know I can't just substitute the x and y in the waves and simply add them .. and unfortunately the book doesn't discuss such situation .. I would appreciate any hints and suggestions .. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thebigstar25! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
thebigstar25 said:
I have the answer to this question as 2.48sin(20t-0.2pi), I know I can't just substitute the x and y in the waves and simply add them …

yes you can …

substitute the x and y, and use sin(A+ B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB :wink:

I did that and I got -2sin20t + 1.46cos20t which doesn't look like the final answer?

ok now use the sin(A+ B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB formula again

(hopefully, B will turn out to be -0.2 π :wink:)

I am sorry but I can't see where I can apply the formula again

A is 20°, B is what you have to find, and tanB = -1.46/2 :wink:

as simple as this problem may seem, I feel like I am missing few things!

first I am not sure why do I have to substitute the values of x and y at the beginning then add the two waves, it would not make a difference if the problem has two waves in the x direction or y direction or one in the x and the other in the y?

my second point is why you suggested to introduce tanB = - 1.46/2 .. I am sorry but I just can't get it :(

thebigstar25 said:
first I am not sure why do I have to substitute the values of x and y at the beginning then add the two waves, it would not make a difference if the problem has two waves in the x direction or y direction or one in the x and the other in the y?

uhh? :confused: but it is one in the x and the other in the y
my second point is why you suggested to introduce tanB = - 1.46/2

because to get sinAcosB + cosAsinB looking like -2sin20t + 1.46cos20t, you need sinB/cosB = 1.46/-2

I was just saying that my two waves are as follows:
4 sin(20t + (pi/3)x + pi)
2 sin(20t +(pi/4)y + pi)

I was wondering what if the second wave was 2 sin(20t +(pi/4)x+ pi) with x = 2, then I will end up with the same answer? why is that?

Thanks a lot for the clarification, I will try again ..

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks alooooooot I got the answer .. really I can't thank you enough for your help ! ..

If it is possible to answer my last question in the previous post you will make my day more than great :) .. Thanks again

thebigstar25 said:
I was wondering what if the second wave was 2 sin(20t +(pi/4)x+ pi) with x = 2, then I will end up with the same answer? why is that?

no, the two waves have to be measured at the same point, you can't measure the first wave at (5,2) and the second at (2, something)

but if you changed the second wave to to 2 sin(20t +(π/10)x+ pi), and measured both at (5,anything), yes you'd get the same result :smile:

oh! I got it now, that part was confusing me :) .. Thanks a lot again for the great help

Related to How to Find the Resultant Wave Equation of Two Plane Waves?

What is the concept of adding two plane waves?

The concept of adding two plane waves is based on the principle of superposition, which states that when two waves of the same type intersect, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves.

How do you mathematically add two plane waves?

To add two plane waves, you can use the trigonometric identity: cos(a) + cos(b) = 2cos[(a+b)/2]cos[(a-b)/2]. This formula allows you to add the amplitudes of the waves and take into account the phase difference between them.

What is the significance of adding two plane waves?

Adding two plane waves allows us to model more complex wave patterns and understand how different waves interact with each other. It is also a fundamental concept in many areas of science, such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics.

Can two plane waves with different frequencies be added?

Yes, two plane waves with different frequencies can be added. However, the resulting wave will have a frequency that is the average of the two frequencies and will also have a more complex pattern due to the interference between the waves.

What are some applications of adding two plane waves?

Adding two plane waves has various applications in science and technology. Some examples include noise cancellation, creating musical beats, and studying the properties of light and sound waves.