How to find magnetic flux density at center and ends of solenoid

In summary, we are tasked to calculate the magnetic flux density at the center and ends of a solenoid with a radius of 2mm and a length of 1.2cm. By using the Biot-Savart law and integrating along the path of the helix, we can break the solenoid into thin rings and use the expression B= \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2 \ ({{b^2} + {z^2}})^{3/2}} \hat{z} for each ring. The current in each ring is the product of the current in each winding (I) and the number of windings in a length dz. The magnetic field
Trip1

Homework Statement

A solenoid has a radius of 2mm and a length of 1.2cm. If the # of turns per unit length is 200 and the current is 12A, calculate the magnetic flux density at a) the center and b) the ends of the solenoid

Homework Equations

The biot-savart law:

[itex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \ \int \frac{ I \ \vec{dl}\times \hat{r}}{r^2} \ \text{ or } \ \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \ \int \frac{ I \ \vec{dl}\times \vec{r}}{r^3}[/itex]

More importantly, my textbook has taken me through a few examples to wind up with the following general results for a circular loop of current with radius b.

In general, on the axis of a current-carrying loop:

[itex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2 \ ({{b^2} + {z^2}})^{3/2}} \hat{z}[/itex]

By setting z=0, we can obtain the magnetic flux density at the center of the loop as

[itex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ I}{2 \ b} \hat{z}[/itex]

I believe i am expected to use only these equations to solve the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

We have 200 turns per unit length, thus we have a total of N = (200)(1.cm) = 2.4 turns

I'm guessing what I have to do is sum the B from each loop / turn. I know that for the loop that is in the plane of the center, the magnetic flux density is given by

[itex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ I}{2 \ b} \hat{z}[/itex]

and that for all the others, the magnetic flux density is given by

[itex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2 \ ({{b^2} + {z^2}})^{3/2}} \hat{z}[/itex]

where b is the radius and is given.

I don't know what to put in for z in the above equation. Furthermore I'm not sure what to do for part b).

I think there must be a simplifying assumption somewhere. Either that or potentially somehow use the general equation for the Biot-Savart law and integrate along the path of the helix

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Break the solenoid into thin rings of width dz and use [itex]B= \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2 \ ({{b^2} + {z^2}})^{3/2}} \hat{z}[/itex] for the ring. You'll need to think about how to express I for the ring. Then consider how you would sum up the contributions to B from all the rings.

TSny said:
Break the solenoid into thin rings of width dz and use [itex]B= \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2 \ ({{b^2} + {z^2}})^{3/2}} \hat{z}[/itex] for the ring. You'll need to think about how to express I for the ring. Then consider how you would sum up the contributions to B from all the rings.

Thanks for the response. So I've integrated that expression over the length of the solenoid (from z=0 to z=1.2cm in this case) and I've expressed I as

[itex] I = 12 \ N [/itex]

where N is the number of turns per unit length, in this case 200.

Note that I haven't covered Gauss' law for magnetic fields yet, and the above expression for I seems to be derived from that law everywhere I look. So I don't really understand why that expression above is correct(yet), but it seems to be so.

Thus,

[itex] I = 12 \ N = 2400 [/itex]

[itex] \vec B = \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2} \int_{0}^{1.2cm} \frac{dz}{({b^2}+{z^2})^{(3/2)}} [/itex]

[itex] \equiv \frac{2400 \ \mu_0}{2} [\frac{z}{\sqrt{{b^2}+{z^2}}}] [/itex]

and the above expression is evaluated from z=1.2cm to z=0 (wasn't sure how to fit that in latex above)

Is this correct? Also, I'm assuming that the magnetic field will be the same everywhere inside the solenoid and so the answer for part a) and b) is the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'd really like to understand this particular question

Trip1 said:
[itex] I = 12 \ N = 2400 [/itex]

[itex] \vec B = \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2} \int_{0}^{1.2cm} \frac{dz}{({b^2}+{z^2})^{(3/2)}} [/itex]

[itex] \equiv \frac{2400 \ \mu_0}{2} [\frac{z}{\sqrt{{b^2}+{z^2}}}] [/itex]

and the above expression is evaluated from z=1.2cm to z=0 (wasn't sure how to fit that in latex above)

Is this correct? Also, I'm assuming that the magnetic field will be the same everywhere inside the solenoid and so the answer for part a) and b) is the same.

A few things need to be corrected here. Let's take the case of finding B at the center of the solenoid. In this case, it's nice to take the origin of the z axis at the center of the solenoid. The solenoid will then extend from z = -L/2 to z = L/2, where L is the length of the solenoid.

Consider a thin ring of the solenoid of width dz and center located at z. You can use your expression for the magnetic field of a ring to write an expression for the magnetic field produced at z = 0 by this ring. When you do this, you'll need to consider how much current is in the ring. This will be the current in each winding (I) multiplied by the number of windings in a length dz.

Considering all of this, try to set up the correct expression for the integral that will give you the total field at the origin.

The case of finding the field at one end is very similar except I would suggest that you then pick the origin of the z-axis at one end.

The magnetic field is not uniform along the z-axis of a solenoid of finite length, so you cannot assume the answer for B at one end will be the same as at the center.

.To find the magnetic flux density at the center of the solenoid, we can use the equation \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ I}{2 \ b} \hat{z}, where b is the radius of the solenoid. Since the solenoid has a radius of 2mm, we can convert this to meters and substitute it into the equation, giving us:

\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ (12A)}{2 \ (0.002m)} \hat{z} = 3.77 \times 10^{-4} \ T \ \hat{z}

For part b), we can use the same approach, but we need to take into account the length of the solenoid. We can use the equation \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ I \ {b^2}}{2 \ ({{b^2} + {z^2}})^{3/2}} \hat{z}, where z is the distance from the end of the solenoid. Since the length of the solenoid is 1.2cm, we can convert this to meters and substitute it into the equation, giving us:

\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 \ (12A) \ {(0.002m)}^2}{2 \ ({{(0.002m)}^2} + {(0.012m)}^2)^{3/2}} \hat{z} = 2.56 \times 10^{-6} \ T \ \hat{z}

This represents the magnetic flux density at the ends of the solenoid. To find the magnetic flux density at a specific distance from the end, we can use the same equation and substitute in the appropriate value for z.

It is important to note that the equations used here are simplified versions of the general Biot-Savart law and make certain assumptions about the geometry of the solenoid. For more complex solenoids, it may be necessary to use the full Biot-Savart law and integrate over the entire length of the solenoid. Additionally, these equations assume an ideal solenoid with perfect alignment and no external magnetic fields. In real-world scenarios, these factors may need to be taken into account for more accurate calculations.

Related to How to find magnetic flux density at center and ends of solenoid

1. What is a solenoid and why is it important for finding magnetic flux density?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that has a cylindrical shape and is used to create a uniform magnetic field. It is important for finding magnetic flux density because the magnetic field created by a solenoid can be easily calculated using mathematical equations.

2. How is magnetic flux density calculated at the center of a solenoid?

The magnetic flux density at the center of a solenoid can be calculated using the equation B = µ0 x N x I / L, where B is the magnetic flux density, µ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, I is the current flowing through the solenoid, and L is the length of the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux density at the ends of a solenoid?

The magnetic flux density at the ends of a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through the solenoid, and the length of the solenoid. The proximity of other magnetic materials and the geometry of the solenoid can also affect the magnetic flux density at the ends.

4. Can magnetic flux density be measured experimentally at the center and ends of a solenoid?

Yes, magnetic flux density can be measured experimentally at the center and ends of a solenoid using a Gaussmeter. This device measures the strength of a magnetic field and can provide accurate readings for the magnetic flux density at different points along the solenoid.

5. How does the magnetic flux density at the center and ends of a solenoid affect its overall performance?

The magnetic flux density at the center and ends of a solenoid is directly related to its overall performance. A higher magnetic flux density will result in a stronger and more uniform magnetic field, which is important for applications such as electromagnets and electric motors. Therefore, it is crucial to accurately calculate and measure the magnetic flux density in order to optimize the performance of a solenoid.