How to find Fuel consumption for 10 MW Gas Generator

In summary, the person is asking for help with a project and wants to know what calculations/formulas to use to find out the elements of a generator. They are a MBA student and want to start up a new business on renewable energy. They are asking for help from an expert, but are not providing any information themselves.
Goldisach
Hi

I am working on Bio Gas Project and I want to know calculations/Formulas to find out elements of Generator.

I am MBA students and i have to submit my project report with to start up new firm on renewable energy.

Please submit can share your knowledge to help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should Google spec sheets for existing commercial projects. Try Capstone Microturbines for a start.

Often though, you look at the issue from the other direction: what is the fuel source and how much is available?

Goldisach said:
Hi

I am working on Bio Gas Project and I want to know calculations/Formulas to find out elements of Generator.

I am MBA students and i have to submit my project report with to start up new firm on renewable energy.

This is a very vague request. The term "generator" has multiple technical meanings. What kind of generator? Or is it an entire power generating plant which is fueled by biogas? If you use the biogas to run a diesel or gas turbine, you'll get a range of fuel consumption figures. Same if the biogas is burned in a boiler to make steam to generate power.

Goldisach said:
Hi

So you are showing no effort and asking us to do your homework for you?

Likes kevnst
SteamKing said:
This is a very vague request. The term "generator" has multiple technical meanings. What kind of generator? Or is it an entire power generating plant which is fueled by biogas? If you use the biogas to run a diesel or gas turbine, you'll get a range of fuel consumption figures. Same if the biogas is burned in a boiler to make steam to generate power.

Yes,Its an Power Generating plan which will function on Bio gas as fuel.
That means you want to say all parameters will be same for Disel or gas turbine and steam to generate power using Bio gas

Goldisach said:
Yes,Its an Power Generating plan which will function on Bio gas as fuel.
That means you want to say all parameters will be same for Disel or gas turbine and steam to generate power using Bio gas
It's not clear what you mean by the term "parameters" here. All we know for certain is that this plant is intended to generate 10 MW of power.

The fuel efficiency of various types of power plant (steam, diesel, gas turbine) differs quite a bit, so in order to estimate how much biogas you need to generate 10 MW of power, you need to find out what sort of numbers to expect for these different generating options.

You need to look at combined cycle alternatives, Google it.

you can find the fuel consumption in the data sheet or specs of your generator, the data sheet is available in the manufacturer of your generator.

so the first thing you need to do is to choose first your generator, google biogas generator there's a lot of company manufacturing it like GE, rolls royce, pratt and whitney etc.

theres a lot of genarator in the market, so you choose it based on your requirement like type of fuel, cooling system(water or air cooled), etc. I am talking here about electric generator fueled by biogas/methane.

with regards to steam power plant wherein you use boiler fuled by biogas, the same thing to do, choose your boiler first.

decide what system to go(boiler or generator), there a lot of consideration here to make it more efficient and economical

google "how to design a biogas plant"

rickitek said:
you can find the fuel consumption in the data sheet or specs of your generator, the data sheet is available in the manufacturer of your generator.

so the first thing you need to do is to choose first your generator, google biogas generator there's a lot of company manufacturing it like GE, rolls royce, pratt and whitney etc.

theres a lot of genarator in the market, so you choose it based on your requirement like type of fuel, cooling system(water or air cooled), etc. I am talking here about electric generator fueled by biogas/methane.

with regards to steam power plant wherein you use boiler fuled by biogas, the same thing to do, choose your boiler first.

decide what system to go(boiler or generator), there a lot of consideration here to make it more efficient and economical

google "how to design a biogas plant"

Thanks a lot
I tried on Google "How to design a Bio gas Plant". I have not got any relevant information.
If you have any link please share.
Once again thanks for information

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you mean by the term "parameters" here. All we know for certain is that this plant is intended to generate 10 MW of power.

The fuel efficiency of various types of power plant (steam, diesel, gas turbine) differs quite a bit, so in order to estimate how much biogas you need to generate 10 MW of power, you need to find out what sort of numbers to expect for these different generating options.
Thanks for sharing information
10,000 kwh is Complete unit energy consumption which i estimated.
Now all i have to find how much Bio gas required to generate 10 MW power and to find this i want to know how to find bio gas consumption per hour for any 10 MW generator.

Related to How to find Fuel consumption for 10 MW Gas Generator

1. What is the formula for calculating fuel consumption for a 10 MW gas generator?

The formula for calculating fuel consumption for a 10 MW gas generator is Fuel Consumption (in liters/hour) = 0.22 x Power Output (in kW).

2. How do I determine the power output of a 10 MW gas generator?

The power output of a 10 MW gas generator can be determined by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amps). This will give you the power output in watts, which can then be converted to kilowatts (kW) by dividing by 1000.

3. Does the type of gas used affect the fuel consumption of a 10 MW gas generator?

Yes, the type of gas used can affect the fuel consumption of a 10 MW gas generator. Different types of gas have different energy densities, which can impact the amount of fuel needed to generate the same amount of power.

4. How can I improve the fuel efficiency of a 10 MW gas generator?

To improve the fuel efficiency of a 10 MW gas generator, you can regularly maintain and service the generator, ensure proper ventilation and cooling, and use high-quality fuel. Additionally, utilizing a load management system can help optimize the generator's fuel consumption.

5. Are there any external factors that can affect the fuel consumption of a 10 MW gas generator?

Yes, there are external factors that can affect the fuel consumption of a 10 MW gas generator. These can include changes in ambient temperature, altitude, and humidity, as well as variations in the generator's load or usage patterns.