How to find C and L in maximum current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a RLC circuit to maximize current at a specific frequency. The necessary values for L and C are determined by finding the Q factor and reactance required for resonance at the given frequency. However, parasitic effects may complicate the process when implementing the circuit.
shqie
In a RLC circuit, radio waves with different frequency, f, hit the antenna and exert oscillating electric forces on the electrons on the antenna . Thus they act via antenna as individual batteries, each oscillating at their particular frequency f. Suppose R=1000 ohm. What should L and C be so we get the largest current in the circuits at frequency in 90 MHz.However, at frequency 90.3 current is only 1/10 as large.

Now I know that at Imax, Xl=Xc, but I don't know how to use the other given frequency to find C and L.

Any help please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I assume the R is in parallel with the L and C.
Xl = 2*Pi*f*L, Xc = -1/ (2*Pi*f*C), when Xc + Xl = 0 you have resonance.

The width of the resonance peak is determined by the Q which is the ratio of reactance to resistance. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor

So find the Q required for 10% at 90.3MHz. Then calculate the reactance needed.
Then solve for the L and C at 90MHz that have that reactance.

Then, if you want to build a suitable resonating circuit, you find that, at 90MHz, nothing behaves quite as you'd expect, because of parasitic effects. There can be a lot of 'suck it and see', when you bolt it into a circuit.

Related to How to find C and L in maximum current?

1. How do I calculate the values of C and L to achieve maximum current in a circuit?

To find the values of C (capacitance) and L (inductance) for maximum current, you can use the formula: C = 1/(ω^2L), where ω is the angular frequency of the circuit. You can also use the resonant frequency formula: ω = 1/√(LC) to find the values of C and L for maximum current.

2. What is the relationship between C and L in a circuit for maximum current?

C and L have an inverse relationship in a circuit for maximum current. This means that as one value increases, the other decreases. For example, if you increase the value of C, the value of L would need to decrease in order to maintain maximum current.

3. Can I use any values for C and L to achieve maximum current in a circuit?

No, the values of C and L must be carefully chosen to achieve maximum current in a circuit. These values depend on the specific components used in the circuit and the desired frequency of operation.

4. How does changing the values of C and L affect the maximum current in a circuit?

Changing the values of C and L in a circuit can greatly affect the maximum current. If the values are too low, the circuit may not reach maximum current. If the values are too high, the circuit may become unstable and not reach maximum current. Finding the optimal values for C and L is crucial for achieving maximum current.

5. Are there any other factors besides C and L that can affect the maximum current in a circuit?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the maximum current in a circuit. These include the resistance of the circuit, the type of power source used, and any external forces or disturbances. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing a circuit for maximum current.