How to Express Cauchy Integral Formula in Terms of a Power Series?

In summary, $f(z)$ is a function that is defined as $\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{g(u)}{u-z} du$, where $g(u) = u^7$ is a continuous function and $f$ is analytic in $C$. It can be described in terms of a power series as $f(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_n(z-z_0)^n$, where $c_n$ is the coefficient evaluated at $z_0$. The integral $\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du$ is equal to 0, which is obtained by using
Dustinsfl
For all z inside of C (C the unit circle oriented counterclockwise),
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{g(u)}{u-z} du
$$
where $g(u) = u^7$ is a continuous function and $f$ is analytic in C. Describe $f$ in C in terms of a power series.

$\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{u^7}{u-z} du$ I am confused with what I am supposed to do. I know it says describe $f$ in terms of a power series.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
For all z inside of C (C the unit circle oriented counterclockwise),
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{g(u)}{u-z} du
$$
where $g(u) = u^7$ is a continuous function and $f$ is analytic in C. Describe $f$ in C in terms of a power series.

$\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{u^7}{u-z} du$ I am confused with what I am supposed to do. I know it says describe $f$ in terms of a power series.

Applying the Cauchy integral formula You have...

$ \displaystyle \int_{C} \varphi(u)\ du = 2 \pi i \sum_{k} r_{k}$ (1)

... where $r_{k}$ is the residue of any singularity of $\varphi(*)$ inside C. In Your case is $\varphi(u)= \frac{u^{7}}{u-z}$ and the only singularity is in $u=z$ so that is...

$\displaystyle f(z) = \lim_{u \rightarrow z}\ \varphi(u) (u-z)= z^{7}$ (2)

... which of course is the Taylor expansion of itself...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
$\displaystyle f(z) = \lim_{u \rightarrow z} \varphi(u) (u-z)= z^{7}$ (2)

... which of course is the Taylor expansion of itself...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

z^7 or u^7?

dwsmith said:
z^7 or u^7?

$z^{7}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
$z^{7}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Why did you say $f(z) = \lim \varphi(u)(u-z)$?

dwsmith said:
Why did you say $f(z) = \lim \varphi(u)(u-z)$?

If $\varphi(z)$ has a pole of order 1 in $z=z_{0}$ then its residue is...

$r_{z=z_{0}} \varphi(z)= \lim_{z \rightarrow z_{0}} \varphi(z)\ (z-z_{0})$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ok so to see if I understand correctly, I am going to solve $g(u) = \bar{u}$.

$f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}du$ again let $\varphi(u) = \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}$

Then $2\pi i\sum_na_n=\int_C\varphi(u)du$

$\displaystyle\lim_{u\to z}\varphi(u)(u-z) = $ since this is the conjugation of u, u would have to always be real correct?

dwsmith said:
Ok so to see if I understand correctly, I am going to solve $g(u) = \bar{u}$.

$f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}du$ again let $\varphi(u) = \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}$

Then $2\pi i\sum_na_n=\int_C\varphi(u)du$

$\displaystyle\lim_{u\to z}\varphi(u)(u-z) = $ since this is the conjugation of u, u would have to always be real correct?

So redoing this problem:

$$f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}du\Rightarrow 2\pi if(z)=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\frac{1}{1-\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}}du$$

$z_0$ is not necessarily on $C$. Let $s=\inf\{|C(t)-z_0|:C(t) \ \text{any point on} \ C\}$ Since $C$ is compact, $s>0$.
Let $r$ be the radius of the open disc around $z_0$ such that the disc doesn't intersect $C$. Take $z\in D(z_0,r)$ fix $r$ such that $0<r<s$.

$\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}$ is uniformly bounded since the max $z-z_0$ is r and the min $u-z_0$ is s so $\frac{r}{s}<1$.

$$
2\pi i f(z) = \int_C \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(u-z_0)^n}(z-z_0)^n du
$$
The series converges uniformly for all r<s and pointwise for all z with $z\in D(z_0,s)$. So we can integrate term by term.

$$
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}\left[\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du(z-z_0)^n\right]
$$

Let $c_n=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du$. Then
$$
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}c_n(z-z_0)^n
$$

Now how can I explain why $f$ does or does not equal $g$? Is f described correctly as a power series here as well?

dwsmith said:
So redoing this problem:

$$f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}du\Rightarrow 2\pi if(z)=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\frac{1}{1-\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}}du$$

$z_0$ is not necessarily on $C$. Let $s=\inf\{|C(t)-z_0|:C(t) \ \text{any point on} \ C\}$ Since $C$ is compact, $s>0$.
Let $r$ be the radius of the open disc around $z_0$ such that the disc doesn't intersect $C$. Take $z\in D(z_0,r)$ fix $r$ such that $0<r<s$.

$\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}$ is uniformly bounded since the max $z-z_0$ is r and the min $u-z_0$ is s so $\frac{r}{s}<1$.

$$
2\pi i f(z) = \int_C \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(u-z_0)^n}(z-z_0)^n du
$$
The series converges uniformly for all r<s and pointwise for all z with $z\in D(z_0,s)$. So we can integrate term by term.

$$
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}\left[\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du(z-z_0)^n\right]
$$

Let $c_n=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du$. Then
$$
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}c_n(z-z_0)^n
$$

Now how can I explain why $f$ does or does not equal $g$? Is f described correctly as a power series here as well?

From here, I can expand at $z_0 = 0$ around the unit circle and evaluate the coefficient.

$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^{n+1}}du z^n
$$

For n = 0, we have

$$
\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du
$$

How is this integral evaluated?

Like this:

$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du = 2\pi i 0
$$

By the Cauchy Integral Formula, then divide by 2\pi i but here the sol is 0 regardless?

$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du
$$

How would this be evaluated?

Last edited:
So f would be described as

Since $\bar{u}$ is not holomorphic in the disk, $f\neq g$.
Then
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\left[\underbrace{z^0\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du}_{0} + z\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du + z^2\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^3}du + \cdots\right].
$$

Is there a way to evaluate these integrals or must it be left like this?

dwsmith said:
So f would be described as

Since $\bar{u}$ is not holomorphic in the disk, $f\neq g$.
Then
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\left[\underbrace{z^0\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du}_{0} + z\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du + z^2\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^3}du + \cdots\right].
$$

Is there a way to evaluate these integrals or must it be left like this?

This post didn't apply to this part of the problem.

Last edited:

Related to How to Express Cauchy Integral Formula in Terms of a Power Series?

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a mathematical theorem that relates the values of a complex function on the boundary of a closed curve to the values of the function inside the curve.

2. Who discovered the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula was discovered by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is significant because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals without having to resort to more complicated methods. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral Formula be applied to functions with singularities?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be applied to functions with singularities, as long as the singularities are contained within the closed curve and the function is analytic (differentiable) everywhere else.

5. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is closely related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary conditions for a function to be analytic. The Cauchy Integral Formula can be derived from the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and it is often used as a tool for proving the validity of the equations.