How to determine what electric motor to use. Need guidance please.

In summary, an engineering student is working on a group project to design and build a UAV for surveillance in Greenland. Their task is to sort out the means of propulsion and materials, but they have only learned about petrol propulsion systems so far. Due to limitations, they plan to use an electric motor and are seeking material to understand the necessary mathematics for calculating range, thrust, and battery compatibility. A question is also raised about the cost and weight of electric motors compared to petrol engines.
SilentIdea
Hello all!

I'm an engineering student who is taking part in a group project to design and build a UAV to carry out surveillance in Greenland. Now my specific task is to sort out our means of propulsion and materials. The problem is up to now I have only learned about petrol propulsion systems in terms of maths.

We are aiming to use an electric motor due to several limitations such as cost and weight. I was therefore wondering if someone could link me to some material which explains the mathematics that need to be attempted in order to work out for example:-

The range equation for an electric motor.
Thrust that can be provided.
How to tell whether or not a battery will be compatible with a certain electric motor. Etc...

SilentIdea

Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think electric motors are cheaper and lighter than petrol engines?

I've sent you a PM.

Related to How to determine what electric motor to use. Need guidance please.

1. What factors should be considered when determining what electric motor to use?

When choosing an electric motor, it is important to consider the power requirements, voltage and current ratings, speed and torque requirements, environmental conditions, and physical size limitations.

2. How do I calculate the power requirements for an electric motor?

The power requirements for an electric motor can be calculated by multiplying the motor's torque requirement (in pound-feet) by its rotational speed (in revolutions per minute) and dividing by 5252. This will give you the motor's horsepower (HP) rating.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC motors?

AC (alternating current) motors are powered by an alternating current source, such as a wall outlet, and are commonly used in household appliances and industrial equipment. DC (direct current) motors are powered by a direct current source, such as a battery, and are commonly used in vehicles and electronic devices.

4. How do I determine the voltage and current ratings for an electric motor?

The voltage and current ratings for an electric motor can typically be found on the motor's nameplate or in its specifications. These ratings indicate the maximum voltage and current that the motor can safely handle.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me choose the right electric motor?

Yes, there are various online calculators and guides available that can assist in choosing the right electric motor for your specific needs. Additionally, consulting with an experienced electrician or engineer can also provide valuable guidance in selecting the appropriate motor.