How to derive the solution for potential flow around a circular cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about trying to derive a solution for a circular cylinder under uniform flow, with a flow potential that satisfies Laplace's equation. The solution is available on Wikipedia, but the process of deriving it is not well documented. One idea is to solve the PDE for the cylinder with boundaries at infinity and then superpose it with the solution for the rectangle with the actual boundaries. However, this approach may not yield meaningful results without properly implementing the boundary conditions in the cylindrical problem.
meldraft
Hey all,

I've been trying for a while now to derive the following solution, for a circular cylinder under uniform flow:

[tex]φ(r,θ)=U(r+\frac{R^2}{r})cos θ[/tex]

where φ is the flow potential that satisfies Laplace's equation, as defined in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_flow_around_a_circular_cylinder

I know how to solve laplace's equation in a rectangular domain, using separation of variables, but here I am at a loss. I simply can't figure out how to implement the circular geometry into the rectangular domain.

To make it more clear, I am assuming a rectangular domain with a circle inside. The domain has a Dirichlet condition on two opposite sides (flow velocity), and a Neuman condition on the surface of the sphere and on the other two sides of the rectangle.

Since this solution is on wikipedia, I figured that it would be well documented, but, after scouring the internet and my books for days, I simply can't find how it's derived anywhere. If someone could provide a link or some help in deriving the solution, I would be grateful :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
shameless bump :-p Searching around the internet I found a proof that basically uses the potential at infinity to formulate the solution, so there was no actual solution of the PDE.

An idea a colleague had was that maybe it is possible to solve the PDE for the cylinder with boundaries at infinity, and then solve the rectangle with the boundaries of my problem, and superpose the solutions? This seems likely in principle, but something doesn't really sit right with this approach. Namely, since the flow around the cylinder is generated by the boundary conditions on the rectangular domain, it is pretty unlikely that I will get any meaningful results without properly implementing that boundary condition in the cylindrical problem.

Related to How to derive the solution for potential flow around a circular cylinder

1. What is potential flow and why is it used to model flow around a circular cylinder?

Potential flow is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a fluid in the absence of viscosity. It assumes that the fluid particles move without any resistance, and thus the flow is irrotational. This model is often used to study flow around a circular cylinder because it simplifies the calculations and provides a good approximation for low-speed flows.

2. What are the assumptions made when deriving the solution for potential flow around a circular cylinder?

The main assumptions are:

• The flow is irrotational, meaning the fluid particles do not rotate as they move.
  • The flow is two-dimensional, or in other words, the cylinder is infinitely long and the flow does not vary in the direction perpendicular to the cylinder.
  • The fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant.
  • The cylinder has a circular cross-section.
  • The flow is steady, meaning it does not change with time.

3. What is the mathematical equation used to represent potential flow around a circular cylinder?

The equation used is the Laplace equation, which relates the velocity potential (Φ) to the flow velocity (V). It is given by:

∇²Φ = 0

This equation is a second-order partial differential equation, which can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and complex analysis.

4. What boundary conditions are applied when solving for potential flow around a circular cylinder?

The boundary conditions applied are:

• The flow velocity at infinity is uniform and parallel to the cylinder axis.
  • The velocity at the surface of the cylinder is zero, since the cylinder is assumed to be non-porous.
  • The velocity potential is constant along the cylinder surface, since the cylinder is assumed to be infinitely long.

5. What are the applications of potential flow solutions for flow around a circular cylinder?

Potential flow solutions for flow around a circular cylinder have many practical applications, including:

• Understanding the aerodynamics of airfoils and wings, which have a similar cross-sectional shape to a circular cylinder.
  • Designing efficient and streamlined shapes for vehicles and structures, such as submarines and underwater pipelines.
  • Predicting the flow patterns and forces on objects in fluid flow, which is useful for engineering and design purposes.