How to denote tetrad in Abstract Index Notation ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Abstract Index Notation for denoting Coordinate Basis and tetrads. The tetrad is not strictly a tensor, but performs a basis transformation on a tensor without altering its rank. The inverse tetrad is denoted as \Lambda^a_A, with A being the frame basis index and a being the holonomic frame index. There is no need to raise or lower tetrad indexes, as the operand tensor or result can be adjusted. However, there is some confusion about the nomenclature surrounding tetrads, with some sources referring to it as a rank 2 tensor and others as a set of four linearly independent coordinate four-vectors.
yicong2011
I like Penrose's Abstract Index Notation very much. I am familiar with using Abstract Index Notation to denote Coordinate Basis.

But when I try to denote tetrad with Abstract Index Notation, I meet problems.

How to denote tetrad in Abstract Index Notation?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Landau's Book, (Page 313, The Classical Theory of Fields, Fourth edition, Elsevier),

tetrads are expressed

ei(a), e(b)i, ei(a), (*)

Of course, I cannot denote tetrads as

(ei)a, (ei)b, (ei)a

I've only ever seen them written like this

[tex]
\Lambda^A_a
[/tex]

where A is the frame basis index and a is a holonomic frame index. So to change basis from holonomic to frame is

[tex]
V^A = \Lambda^A_a\ V^a
[/tex]

The inverse tetrad is denoted

[tex]
\Lambda^a_A
[/tex]

Mentz114 said:
I've only ever seen them written like this

[tex]
\Lambda^A_a
[/tex]

where A is the frame basis index and a is a holonomic frame index. So to change basis from holonomic to frame is

[tex]
V^A = \Lambda^A_a\ V^a
[/tex]

The inverse tetrad is denoted

[tex]
\Lambda^a_A
[/tex]

Can we say tetrad is rank 2 tensor, since two index can both rise and lower down?

Strictly it is not a tensor, so there is always one lower and one upper index. The tetrad performs a basis transformation on a tensor without altering its rank.

[tex]
T^{AB}\ =\ \Lambda^A_a \ \Lambda^B_b\ T^{ab}
[/tex]

Because the indexes refer to two bases, there is no metric to raise or lower them. It is never necessary to raise or lower a tetrad index, because the operand tensor or the result can be adjusted.

The inverse is defined thus

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&V^A\ = \ \Lambda^A_a \ V^a\\
\Rightarrow\ &\Lambda^a_A \ V^A\ = \Lambda^a_A \ \Lambda^A_a \ V^a = \ V^a
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Recently in a paper on TP gravity ( where the tetrad is a gauge potential) I saw a tetrad written with 2 lower indexes which could be raised. But I have not worked out what it means.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
Strictly it is not a tensor, so there is always one lower and one upper index. The tetrad performs a basis transformation on a tensor without altering its rank.

[tex]
T^{AB}\ =\ \Lambda^A_a \ \Lambda^B_b\ T^{ab}
[/tex]

Because the indexes refer to two bases, there is no metric to raise or lower them. It is never necessary to raise or lower a tetrad index, because the operand tensor or the result can be adjusted.

The inverse is defined thus

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&V^A\ = \ \Lambda^A_a \ V^a\\
\Rightarrow\ &\Lambda^a_A \ V^A\ = \Lambda^a_A \ \Lambda^A_a \ V^a = \ V^a
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Recently in a paper on TP gravity ( where the tetrad is a gauge potential) I saw a tetrad written with 2 lower indexes which could be raised. But I have not worked out what it means.

But I have seen it in

"Metric Compatibility
Condition And Tetrad
Postulate"

(Myron W. Evans)

See just below the formula (8.1)

"qaμ is the tetrad [3]-[5], a mixed index rank two tensor"

However, in Landau's Book "The Classical Theory of Fields" (Fourth Edition, Elsevier) Page 313, it is definitely pointed out that "a set of four linearly independent coordinate four-vectors"

Thus, I am a bit confused...

Thus, I am a bit confused...

Me too, about the nomenclature. In practise it is usually clear what is meant, though.

Related to How to denote tetrad in Abstract Index Notation ?

1. What is Abstract Index Notation?

Abstract Index Notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers. It is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to express equations and formulas in a concise and consistent manner.

2. How is tetrad denoted in Abstract Index Notation?

Tetrad, also known as a vierbein or frame, is denoted as a lower case Latin letter, such as e, with an index attached to it. The index is usually a Greek letter, such as α, and represents the direction or coordinate of the corresponding basis vector.

3. What is the purpose of denoting tetrad in Abstract Index Notation?

The purpose of denoting tetrad in Abstract Index Notation is to simplify and abstract the representation of tensors. By using a consistent notation, complex equations and formulas can be written in a more concise and understandable way, making it easier to perform calculations and interpret results.

4. Are there any rules or conventions for denoting tetrad in Abstract Index Notation?

Yes, there are several rules and conventions for denoting tetrad in Abstract Index Notation. These include using a lower case Latin letter for the tetrad symbol, using a Greek letter for the index, and using a specific order for the indices to represent the direction or coordinate of the basis vector.

5. Can tetrad be denoted differently in different fields using Abstract Index Notation?

Yes, while there are general rules and conventions for denoting tetrad in Abstract Index Notation, different fields may use slightly different notations. It is important to be familiar with the conventions used in a specific field to ensure proper understanding and communication.