How to Convert TMESH Data to Text Files in MCNP6 Using Python"

rai915
I would like to analyse mdata of tmesh in MCNP6 by python, but I am struggling how to convert mdata (unformatted binary) to any text file in python.
I used GRIDCONV but it's not suitable for automations.

I also used scipy.io.Fortrunfile but could not convert the file because I was not sure fortrun setting for output, like endians.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Are you also generating a mctal file and does this not have what you need as text when you do a tmesh?

If the data is right https://github.com/ipostuma/MCNPtools might help to plot what you want.

Alex A said:
Welcome to PF!

Are you also generating a mctal file and does this not have what you need as text when you do a tmesh?

If the data is right https://github.com/ipostuma/MCNPtools might help to plot what you want.
Thank you for the reply, but I want to have MDATA generated by tmesh option, not mctal.
MDATA is the tmesh tally data, with unformatted binary.

I'm assuming the reason you don't want to use gridconv is because it's interactive. What OS are you using?

For linux if you made a program that printed
Code:
y
mdatatext
and ran it with program.py | gridconv
That would take a binary format file called mdata and convert it to a text file called mdatatext
That is three enters, y(enter), mdatatext(enter), and two enters. This is for an older version but if it's changed I imagine it won't be much.

Patching the source would also work, if you don't have the source patching the binary will also work.

Thank you Alex, I solved it to control interactive GUIDCONV by pexpect:)

Likes zhj2024 and Alex A