How to Convert Diffusion Rate to Hertz?

• Thread starter amy1vaulhausen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hertz
In summary: Frequency is a useful quantity for sound, light, and other types of waves, but it can't be directly used to measure anything else.
amy1vaulhausen
TL;DR Summary
Does anyone know hot to do this ; How to Convert Diffusion Rate to Hertz?
How to Convert Diffusion Rate to Hertz - Hi, new here. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the molecular diffusion rate

to a frequency in hertz?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are trying to do. Please be specific.

Likes russ_watters, topsquark, BillTre and 1 other person
amy1vaulhausen said:
How to Convert Diffusion Rate to Hertz - Hi, new here. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the molecular diffusion rate
Like @hutchphd, I don't understand the question. Sounds like you are trying to convert bananas to bicycles.

Likes topsquark, BillTre and hutchphd
Hertz (Hz) is the same as reciprocal seconds (1/s). I can't think of a diffusion quantity with that dimension. Did a bit of searching, and as I suspected the unit for such a quantity is better described as amount per area times seconds.

For details, see Fick's law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fick's_laws_of_diffusion

Likes Bystander
Thanks Mayhem, the reason behind my question is based on the diffusion rate in time.
Formula ; t=x^2/2D
see reference ; https://www.physiologyweb.com/calculators/diffusion_time_calculator.html
Since a solute will take a range of time to diffuse for a spacial unit with known viscosity and related parameters
and since that time range can be computed in seconds, then if light seconds are used as a distance value and we convert the distance to a value in hertz, wouldnt we end up with a means to covert rate to a hertzian frequency? Am just wondering if there is a standard way to approach this? A formula to use?

I like to think of the diffusion rate as a measure of the growth of the blob of diffusing stuff. By some measure the surface area of the blob grows linearly with time. I don't know how any particular frequency is useful.

A cycle of time can be converted to a frequency in hertz. If we know the amount of time in seconds it takes a solute to diffuse in a specific unit of space with know characteristics then there must be a way to convert this time period to a hertzian value or at least a range of frequency values?

amy1vaulhausen said:
A cycle of time can be converted to a frequency in hertz.
Really? It took me 20 secons to read your post. What frequency is that?
amy1vaulhausen said:
If we know the amount of time in seconds it takes a solute to diffuse in a specific unit of space with know characteristics then there must be a way to convert this time period to a hertzian value or at least a range of frequency values?
You're still trying to convert bananas to bicycles. Plus, as @hutchphd said, even if your could square this circle,
hutchphd said:
I don't know how any particular frequency is useful.

phinds said:
Really? It took me 20 seconds to read your post. What frequency is that?
1/20th Hz, of course. I'll rephrase the objection: @amy1vaulhausen you can convert any repeating time period into a frequency by inverting it, but that doesn't make it useful/meaningful. What's the real goal here? What do you think this tells you?

amy1vaulhausen said:
Thanks Mayhem, the reason behind my question is based on the diffusion rate in time.
Formula ; t=x^2/2D
see reference ; https://www.physiologyweb.com/calculators/diffusion_time_calculator.html
Since a solute will take a range of time to diffuse for a spacial unit with known viscosity and related parameters
and since that time range can be computed in seconds, then if light seconds are used as a distance value and we convert the distance to a value in hertz, wouldnt we end up with a means to covert rate to a hertzian frequency? Am just wondering if there is a standard way to approach this? A formula to use?

There is no standard way to approach this because it's not a standard approach at all. It doesn't even make sense to use hertz in this manner as you don't have a repeating process or some cyclic phenomenon. Just because something is a rate doesn't make it cyclic or applicable to use hertz. Acceleration is a rate, as it has units of m/s/s, but you would never use hertz as a unit for acceleration. The same is true for velocity, which has units of m/s. An object moving at 10 m/s does not have a frequency of 10 Hz. It doesn't have a frequency at all.

Likes BillTre and russ_watters
So we have Hertz for periodic processes, Becquerel for radioactive decay, although lifetime can be formulated as imaginary part of frequency.
One of the last realms of physics where the babylonian-anglosaxonian unit mess persists.