How to Calculate Tension and Velocity in a Rotational System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving determining the angular and linear velocities and tension in a system consisting of a disk and two masses. The problem lacks sufficient information, specifically the moment of inertia, but one solution suggests assuming that the mass given is for the entire pulley consisting of two discs of the same thickness and material.
Axel H

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/rotacion1.jpg/
Translation: Determinate, for the system of Fig. 10-39 the angular velocity of the disk and the linear velocity of m and m'. Calculate the tension in each string. Suposse that m = 600 g, m' = 500 g, M = 800 g, R = 8 cm and r = 6 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I don't know to get the moment of inertia because I have the mass of one disk only.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree, it looks like you were not given enough information.

One could assume that M was for both discs, but you would still need to know the thicknesses of the two discs which you could estimate if you had to.

Bad problem.

Solve the problem assuming that M is the mass of the whole pulley that consist of two disk-form parts of the same thickness, made of the same material. Usually the problem writers think in 2D where thickness does not exist.:wink:

ehild

Related to How to Calculate Tension and Velocity in a Rotational System?

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, among other concepts.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational dynamics?

The main difference between linear and rotational dynamics is that linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement along a circular path. Additionally, linear motion is governed by Newton's laws of motion, while rotational motion is governed by the laws of rotational dynamics.

3. How do you calculate rotational dynamics?

The calculation of rotational dynamics involves using equations such as torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration and angular momentum = moment of inertia x angular velocity. It also requires an understanding of the direction and magnitude of forces acting on a rotating object.

4. What is the importance of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is important in understanding the behavior of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, where knowledge of rotational dynamics is necessary for designing machines and structures that involve rotary motion.

5. How can I apply rotational dynamics in real life?

Rotational dynamics has numerous real-life applications, such as in the design of vehicles, turbines, and amusement park rides. It also plays a role in sports, as seen in movements like throwing a ball or swinging a golf club. Additionally, understanding rotational dynamics can help in predicting the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the rotation of the Earth and the movement of celestial bodies.