How to calculate my motor input power

In summary, the conversation discusses using a formula to calculate input power for an existing fan, but notes that it may not be accurate due to additional transmission loss and variations in efficiency. It is suggested to use the plate data as an estimate for maximum power, but it may not be completely accurate without actual measurements or more data.
Puzzled
Hello,
I have a question about calculating input power.

Does the following formula work?

Shaft Power (Supply) / Motor Efficiency? We are trying to calculate what an existing fan is using but do not have assess to site. We have the shaft power and motor efficiency from the manufacturers data sheets.
Fan shaft power = 3.46KW
Motor Efficiency = 87%
Rated Power 7.5KW

Appreciate your input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Puzzled said:
Does the following formula work?

Shaft Power (Supply) / Motor Efficiency?
Yes, unless there is an additional transmission loss from pulleys and a belt. Maybe add another 5-10%.

Note that just because it is rated at a particular level doesn't mean that's what it is actually drawing. Efficiency at 3.46kW is unlikely to be the same as at 7.5kW, and the fan won't even necessarily draw 3.46 all the time - it'll depend on airflow, backpressure, altitude, temperature, etc. You won't be able to get a very good estimate without actually measuring, or at least having much more data than you've provided here.

Likes CWatters
+1

Using the plate data should give you an estimate for the maximum power but perhaps that's good enough for your purposes.

Related to How to calculate my motor input power

1. What is motor input power?

Motor input power refers to the amount of electrical energy that is required to power a motor and make it run.

2. How do I calculate motor input power?

To calculate motor input power, you need to know the voltage of the motor and the current it draws. Simply multiply the voltage by the current to get the power in watts (P = V x I).

3. What units is motor input power measured in?

Motor input power is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). Sometimes, it may also be measured in horsepower (hp).

4. Can motor input power change?

Yes, motor input power can change depending on the load and speed of the motor. As the load and speed increase, the motor input power will also increase.

5. Why is it important to calculate motor input power?

Calculating motor input power is important as it helps determine the efficiency and performance of the motor. It also helps in selecting the appropriate motor for a specific application and can aid in troubleshooting any issues that may arise.