How to Calculate Magnetic Field Strength Between Parallel Wires

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem involving two wires running parallel and the magnetic field strength between them. The formula used is B(r)=u_0i/2pir, but instead of r, the variables D and d are used. The question asks for the magnetic field strength on the line joining the two wires, and the correct solution is given as B=(u_0iD)/pi(D^2-d^2). The conversation ends with the poster realizing their mistake and requesting for the thread to be closed or deleted.
Kawakaze
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Can someone please clear this up for me? Two wires running parallel to each other. I think its just an algebraic addition of the usual

B(r)=u_0i/2pir

but instead of r, we are using D and d

aslso i apologise for my formulae, if someone could point me to the tex thread ill redo them

Homework Statement

By summing the magnetic field due to currents of magnitude i flowing in both the wires in the senses you found in part (c), show that, on the line joining the two wires, the magnetic field strength is given by =

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Homework Equations

B(r)=u_0i/2pir

The Attempt at a Solution

B=(u_0i/2piD)+(u_0i/2pid)

which i get to be

B=(u_0i)/pi(D^2-d^2)

the question says it should be

B=(u_0iD)/pi(D^2-d^2)

Where is that extra D on the numerator from?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't help you unless you post the entire problem as stated. What are the "senses you found in part (c)"? What do parts (a) and (b) ask? Guessing at what might be asked does not help us help you.

Parts a and b have no bearing on the question. This is just an algebra question. I found out where i went wrong. Just bad practice! =/

This thread can be closed/deleted

Related to How to Calculate Magnetic Field Strength Between Parallel Wires

1. What is the concept of addition of magnetic fields?

The addition of magnetic fields refers to the process of combining two or more magnetic fields to obtain a resultant field. This is similar to the addition of vectors, where the direction and magnitude of each field are taken into account to determine the resultant field.

2. How is the direction of the resultant magnetic field determined?

The direction of the resultant magnetic field is determined by the vector sum of the individual magnetic fields. This means that the direction of the resultant field will be in the same direction as the sum of the individual magnetic field vectors.

3. What is the difference between parallel and antiparallel magnetic fields?

Parallel magnetic fields are those that have the same direction and are attracted to each other, while antiparallel magnetic fields have opposite directions and repel each other. When these fields are added together, the resultant field will be stronger if the fields are parallel, and weaker if they are antiparallel.

4. Can magnetic fields cancel each other out?

Yes, it is possible for magnetic fields to cancel each other out. This occurs when the strength and direction of two fields are equal and opposite, resulting in a net magnetic field of zero.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the addition of magnetic fields?

Yes, the addition of magnetic fields is used in various technologies such as magnetic levitation trains, electric motors, and particle accelerators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of Earth's magnetic field and its impact on our daily lives.