How to Calculate Ferrite Transformer

• Thread starter NIKOLA TESLA Oficial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, Transformers can be pretty complex and require a lot of understanding of the basic EMF equation in order to get started.
NIKOLA TESLA Oficial
Hello everyone! I am unsure how to determine the number of turns, wire size, and current of the 50 kilohert ferrite transformer thanks everyone!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 196
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

There are some pretty general design methodologies, but the actual design approach will depend on several things:
  • Power Level
  • Signal type (switching power supply, communication transformer, etc)
  • Bandwidth
  • Cost constraints (does it need to be cheap in high volume?)
  • Safety issues (does it need to be designed as a safety barrier for AC Mains applications like switching power supplies?)
If you can give us an idea for each of these initial questions/items, that will help us a lot to guide you to some good transformer design tutorials. If you want to design a transformer for a 50kHz off-line switching power supply, that is very different from designing a wideband communication transformer for 50kHz twisted pair communication... :smile:

Also, what is your background in electronics and math? That also will help us to guide you the best. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

There are some pretty general design methodologies, but the actual design approach will depend on several things:
  • Power Level
  • Signal type (switching power supply, communication transformer, etc)
  • Bandwidth
  • Cost constraints (does it need to be cheap in high volume?)
  • Safety issues (does it need to be designed as a safety barrier for AC Mains applications like switching power supplies?)
If you can give us an idea for each of these initial questions/items, that will help us a lot to guide you to some good transformer design tutorials. If you want to design a transformer for a 50kHz off-line switching power supply, that is very different from designing a wideband communication transformer for 50kHz twisted pair communication... :smile:

Also, what is your background in electronics and math? That also will help us to guide you the best. Thanks.
2 Amp, 220 Volt Ferrite Transformer.
AC Signal Type, Unswitched Output, Analog, single source at 50 KHz frequency

[moderator: oversize duplicate text removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody help me !? I just wanted to know how to correctly calculate a ferrite transformer, that's all!

Try this site and click on the Design Tools of your choice. They are a major supplier of ferrite material and have been around for decades. They should be able to get you started.
https://www.fair-rite.com/
Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Try this site and click on the Design Tools of your choice. They are a major supplier of ferrite material and have been around for decades. They should be able to get you started.
https://www.fair-rite.com/
Cheers,
Tom
Thanks Tom.G !

NIKOLA TESLA Oficial said:
2 Amp, 220 Volt Ferrite Transformer.
AC Signal Type, Unswitched Output, Analog, single source at 50 KHz frequency
That helps some, but there are still a few questions that would help to know the answers to.

I don't know what "single source" means. Does that mean that you will be generating a single output voltage rail with this offline switching power supply? Do you know what switching topology you are planning on using for this power supply? Will this be a one-off prototype, or do you intend to make this into a product with safety and EMI certifications?

And designing an offline switching power supply is more than just designing the transformer. Can you say more about this project and your background?

Here's a helpful overview of power supply design:

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/SMPSRM-D.PDF
And Wurth is a very good supplier of switchmode power supply transformers. I've experienced excellent customer service with them, including some great help figuring out a conducted EMI problem that we were having with a recent Power Factor Corrected SMPS design...

https://www.we-online.com/web/en/pa...cts_pbcm/landing_pages/CustomTransformers.php
And this page at Wurth for new transformer design requests will help to give you an idea of the different things that you need to think about when designing a new SMPS transformer:

https://www.we-online.com/web/en/pa...gnetics/midcom_custom_design_enquiry_form.php

NIKOLA TESLA Oficial said:
Hello everyone! I am unsure how to determine the number of turns, wire size, and current of the 50 kilohert ferrite transformer thanks everyone!

Transformer design and optimization is not easy, I also try to search for relevant information online from time to time.

I guess that the basic EMF equation of transformer can provide some useful basic concepts, although the actual design may involve more other parameters and may be a lot more complicated.

E1 = 4.44f N1 Φm
E2 = 4.44f N2 Φm

https://www.electricaleasy.com/2014/03/emf-equation-of-transformer.html
According to the equations :
Number of turns is related to the primary/secondary voltage and maximum magnetic flux
Wire size is obviously related to cost consideration, space limitations and heat dissipation since Copper Loss = I^2*I (skin effect should be considered at high frequencies...)
Current is obviously related to transformer Input/output power since P=V*I

Last edited:

Related to How to Calculate Ferrite Transformer

1. What is a ferrite transformer?

A ferrite transformer is a type of transformer that uses ferrite as its core material. Ferrite is a type of ceramic material that has high magnetic permeability, making it ideal for use in transformers.

2. How do I calculate the turns ratio of a ferrite transformer?

The turns ratio of a ferrite transformer can be calculated by dividing the number of turns on the secondary winding by the number of turns on the primary winding. This ratio determines the voltage output of the transformer.

3. What is the formula for calculating the inductance of a ferrite transformer?

The formula for calculating the inductance of a ferrite transformer is L = (N^2 * μ * A)/l, where L is the inductance in henries, N is the number of turns, μ is the magnetic permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core.

4. How do I determine the maximum power handling capacity of a ferrite transformer?

The maximum power handling capacity of a ferrite transformer can be determined by calculating the maximum current that can flow through the transformer and multiplying it by the voltage output. This value should not exceed the power rating of the transformer.

5. What factors should I consider when designing a ferrite transformer?

When designing a ferrite transformer, it is important to consider the desired voltage output, the frequency of the input signal, the core material and size, and the number of turns on the primary and secondary windings. Other factors to consider include the maximum power handling capacity and the efficiency of the transformer.