How to achieve the best results in life

• Schools
  • Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, you should choose a university that will help you reach success, and don't worry about fame or money.
Grands
Hi guys.

I opened this thread to ask opinion about people that have more experience them me about his argument.
I'm 19, last year of high school.
I was always a person that study a lot, and I dedicate all myself to the school.
I always tried to do my best in every subject I had to study at school, from Literature, to Physics, and I usually obtained great results.
Also in my future I will like to do the same, be smart, obtain great results and do my best.

Now I have to choose the university, it's very important for me, so I don't want to make mistakes, I don't want to choose something I'm not good at it.
I want to choose something that will help me to reach the success, that doesn't necessarily means fame or money, I just want to be very good, and look back to my life and say that I made the correct choice.

I hope that one day I will build something or I will discover something that can be very useful or important for science or for the society, no matter what.
I would like to be proud of myself, and I don't want to have regrets.

Which are yours advice for me?

Thanks for the help and for the attention.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are not questions someone else can answer for you. The only advice is to follow your heart.

Likes Tom.G, Mmm_Pasta and symbolipoint
Ok, but I didn't ask or I didn't intend to ask guys: what I have to do?

I just wanted some general advices for the life, not about my particular situation, that maybe helped other people of PF.
Also an inspiring quote could be useful.

Last edited:
Grands said:
Ok, but I didn't ask or I didn't intend to ask guys: what I have to do?

I just wanted some general advices for the life, not about my particular situation, that maybe helped other people of PF.
Grands said:
Hi guys.

I opened this thread to ask opinion about people that have more experience them me about his argument.
I'm 19.
I was always a person that study a lot, and I dedicate all myself to the school.
I always tried to do my best in every subject I had to study at school, from Literature, to Physics, and I usually obtained great results.
Also in my future I will like to do the same, be smart, obtain great results and do my best.

Now I have to choose the university, it's very important for me, so I don't want to make mistakes, I don't want to choose something I'm not good at it.
I want to choose something that will help me to reach the success, that doesn't necessarily means fame or money, I just want to be very good, and look back to my life and say that I made the correct choice.

I hope that one day I will build something or I will discover something that can be very useful or important for science or for the society, no matter what.

Which are yours advice for me?

Thanks for the help and for the attention.
Not enough accurate information about or from you.

You need to study a variety of courses. At age of 19 you either just started or started college(?) a few months ago, so make some courses choices. Upons studying in each of your classes, within biological science, within physical science, within any engineering, within computer science, within arts, within humanities, within journalism, ask yourself: Who uses this in a job? Would I want a job like that/this?

Hey who knows! Maybe you'll study Mathematics and Physics for two or three years , and then join a rock'n'roll band doing steady schedule of performances!

I have to correct my initial post and I will do it right now, I didn't said that in Italy high school last 5 years instead of 4.
Anyway I wrote that I have to choose university...

Grands said:
I have to correct my initial post and I will do it right now, I didn't said that in Italy high school last 5 years instead of 4.
Anyway I wrote that I have to choose university...
I really ought to have noticed your member name and remembered some of what you told us about yourself and made a better statement.

So you are just recently starting either college or university. Still you really should be allowed to survey a variety of courses and decide for yourself. Not sure if your system allows you to do so.

I don't know what you mean with "variety of courses".
In US a person can study together stuff like "physics and philosophy" or "engineering and law"?

Grands said:
I don't know what you mean with "variety of courses".
In US a person can study together stuff like "physics and philosophy" or "engineering and law"?
Separate courses, each from a different category.
As example, in one particular semester or term, student has beginning algebra, introductory journalism, anthropology, and a physical-fitness/education/activity period. Four very different courses during the term.

Unfortunately this is not possible.

No one has other hint or advice, that maybe it's regarding lifestyle and not also academic carrier ?

Grands said:

Grands said:
No one has other hint or advice, that maybe it's regarding lifestyle and not also academic carrier ?

Everyone has a different set of values and a lot of things in life are neither correct or wrong. There is a lot of context that shapes the way people look at the world around them. We could give you advice or list off things that helped us, but we don't share the same past experiences or circumstances as you. We don't have the same set of values as you do. This is my way of saying the same thing Greg Bernhardt has said.

Ok, so I have a question about lifestyle.
Every one maybe has a different one, but maybe there is also Science that can help us to answer this question.
Considering that a person need to sleep to have enough energy to face the life difficulties, which are the best sleeping hours, and how much a man have to sleep?

Grands said:
Ok, so I have a question about lifestyle.
Every one maybe has a different one, but maybe there is also Science that can help us to answer this question.
Considering that a person need to sleep to have enough energy to face the life difficulties, which are the best sleeping hours, and how much a man have to sleep?

First part, Science gives us no strict instruction how to have any lifestyle - or maybe I'm wrong about this and SOCIAL SCIENCES DO HAVE SOME BASIC IDEAS for how to reach some kind of desired lifestyle. One should know what options are available where one lives to accomplish the kind of lifestyle one wants.

Second part, everyone has different sleep requirements. Only you can find what you need. Best sleeping hours would usually be approximately alike for most people. We want to be awake during daylight and go to sleep late at night through the mid-morning (about 6AM or 7AM). Someone who is employed during a 'graveyard' shift must conform to a different set of sleeping hours. A few people, CANNOT do that.

Grands said:
,,, how much a man have to sleep?
There are a lot of variables for both men and for women.
Some people are just naturally night owl types
You do need to get at least 2 or 3 hours of sunlight a day to be healthy though.

Likes Grands
Here in the US, there are Aptitude Tests that are often given in High School. They are often a series of multiple choice questions asking which of the choices you prefer to do. Things like: Go to a party /-/ Build a computer /-/ Hike in the forest.

A Google search https://www.google.com/search?source=&q=aptitude+test+free turns up many such tests. Also search for just: aptitude test

They all have some built-in biases, so take several of them and see where the majority classify you. At the least, you will get a little more information.

(As my mother used to say: "Get all the advice you can, then do as you darn please.")

A person just needs to understand oneself. This depends on maturity and intelligence. One could try some "aptitude" test if this helps, but this will not guarantee the maturity and intelligence to make a good or best career decision.

Tom.G said:
Here in the US, there are Aptitude Tests that are often given in High School. They are often a series of multiple choice questions asking which of the choices you prefer to do. Things like: Go to a party /-/ Build a computer /-/ Hike in the forest.
I can't understand how this is related with my thread.

Grands, the member, Tom.G in post #17, was remarking on this passage from your first posting on the topic:

Likes Tom.G and Grands
Anyway my topic was about general advices that can help people, stuff like wake up early every morning etc..
I know americans has a lots of inspiring people.

Grands said:
Anyway my topic was about general advices that can help people, stuff like wake up early every morning etc..
I know americans has a lots of inspiring people.
You will know answers better for yourself, in about four or five years from now. Best anybody can say now is, figure out what you want from life, decide on a plan to accomplish that, and then perform your plan. Pay attention to your health requirements all along the way.

symbolipoint said:
You will know answers better for yourself, in about four or five years from now. Best anybody can say now is, figure out what you want from life, decide on a plan to accomplish that, and then perform your plan. Pay attention to your health requirements all along the way.

The whole point of @Grands 's thread is to ask for advice, so he himself does not have to make mistakes and learn on them. He does not want to make mistakes and learn on his failures, because instead of those mishaps he wishes to succeed, so he is asking for help from older, wiser people who have experienced more here at PF.
Am I right?

Likes Grands
ISamson said:
The whole point of @Grands 's thread is to ask for advice, so he himself does not have to make mistakes and learn on them. He does not want to make mistakes and learn on his failures, because instead of those mishaps he wishes to succeed, so he is asking for help from older, wiser people who have experienced more here at PF.
Am I right?
That's right.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Don't be vindictive
Balance work and play, avoid favoring one over the other

Likes rootone, ISamson and Grands
donpacino said:
Don't be vindictive
Which are the bad sides of being vindictive?

Grands said:
The targets tend to pay you back, viciously and to the extreme.

Likes symbolipoint
Grands said:
You mean in addition to being ethically and morally in the wrong?
Loss of respect from your peers.
The possibility of you looking like you are in the wrong.
Making a bad situation worse

If you want to look at it from a purely logical point... You lose the chance to gain the person you are being vindictive to as an ally or friend. It usually does not accomplish anything. it can olny hurt you (although can sometimes provide temporary emotional relief)

Tom.G said:
The targets tend to pay you back, viciously and to the extreme.
If they are vindictive too

Likes Grands
I think it's a good advice.

Related to How to achieve the best results in life

What steps can I take to achieve the best results in life?

To achieve the best results in life, it is important to set clear and specific goals. This will help you stay focused and motivated. Additionally, it is important to develop good habits and routines, such as time management, self-care, and continuous learning. Surrounding yourself with positive and supportive people can also greatly impact your success.

Is there a secret to achieving success in life?

There is no one secret to achieving success in life. However, some common factors among successful individuals include hard work, determination, resilience, and a positive mindset. It is also important to be adaptable and willing to learn from failures.

How can I stay motivated and avoid burnout while working towards my goals?

To stay motivated, it is important to regularly revisit and reassess your goals. Celebrate small milestones and progress towards your larger goals. It is also important to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout. Surrounding yourself with a supportive network and finding a balance between work and personal life can also help maintain motivation.

What role does mindset play in achieving success?

Mindset plays a crucial role in achieving success. A positive and growth-oriented mindset can help you overcome challenges, learn from failures, and maintain motivation. On the other hand, a negative and fixed mindset can hinder your progress and limit your potential. It is important to cultivate a mindset that embraces challenges and believes in continuous growth and improvement.

How can I measure my progress and track my success in life?

Measuring progress and tracking success is highly individualized and depends on your personal goals and priorities. Some common ways to measure progress include setting specific and measurable goals, keeping track of accomplishments and milestones, and seeking feedback from others. It is important to regularly reflect on your progress and make adjustments as needed to stay on track towards your goals.