How teachers and tutors use forum posts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of internet forums for educational purposes, particularly in regards to homework help. There is a concern that this type of help can hinder the learning process for students who are only looking for a quick solution. The conversation also mentions the difference between using forums for instructional material versus private use by students.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I haven't taken a course in years, so I don't know how modern teachers and tutors use the internet. It occurs to me that one interesting exercise would be to have a student ask a question on various forums, collect the posted answers and then have the student or the class critique them. Anyone know if that's actually done?

Science news on Phys.org
I do see the same programming based questions, verbatim, on several different forums. And they often appear to be homework to me. My take is that in giving homework help we can wreck the learning part for students.

Some just want a handout.

Well, I'm wondering if any teachers use forum posts in a public manner as instructional material. It's clear that students use them privately.

I used to hang out a lot on Usenet newsgroups, when they were more popular and there were fewer Web-based forums. Textbooks for "Internet literacy" classes often had chapters about using newsgroups. Certain groups regularly received small "floods" of posts with similar questions, obviously from the same class assignment. Homework spam. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
I do see the same programming based questions, verbatim, on several different forums. And they often appear to be homework to me. My take is that in giving homework help we can wreck the learning part for students.

Some just want a handout.

Which is why HW help is more satisfying here (where there are no handouts, as per forum policy) than, say, Yahoo Answers. (And that's why I stopped "helping" on YA - because it's not actually help to spoonfeed them).

Related to How teachers and tutors use forum posts?

1. How do teachers and tutors use forum posts to enhance student learning?

Teachers and tutors can use forum posts as a way to facilitate discussion and collaboration among students. By posting prompts or questions related to the class material, students can engage in meaningful conversations and share their thoughts and ideas. This can foster a deeper understanding of the subject and encourage critical thinking skills.

2. How do teachers and tutors monitor and assess student participation in forum posts?

Teachers and tutors can use various methods to monitor and assess student participation in forum posts. This can include tracking the number of posts or comments made by each student, evaluating the quality of their contributions, and providing feedback on their posts. Additionally, they can also use rubrics to assess students' understanding and application of the concepts discussed in the forum.

3. How do teachers and tutors address inappropriate or off-topic posts in forums?

Inappropriate or off-topic posts can be addressed by setting clear guidelines for forum participation and discussing these expectations with students. Teachers and tutors can also monitor the forum regularly and remove any posts that do not adhere to the guidelines. In cases where a student consistently posts inappropriate content, teachers and tutors can have a one-on-one conversation with the student to address the issue and provide guidance on appropriate forum behavior.

4. How can forum posts be used to support student learning outside of the classroom?

Forum posts can be a valuable tool for facilitating discussions and engaging students in learning outside of the classroom. Teachers and tutors can assign forum posts as homework or extra credit assignments, allowing students to continue their learning and share their thoughts and ideas with their peers. This can also provide an opportunity for students who may be too shy to participate in class to contribute to the discussion.

5. How do teachers and tutors ensure that forum posts are inclusive and respectful of diverse perspectives?

Teachers and tutors can create a welcoming and inclusive environment in the forum by setting ground rules for respectful communication. This can include reminding students to use appropriate language and refrain from personal attacks. In addition, teachers and tutors can also model respectful communication and intervene if any posts are deemed offensive or disrespectful. It is important for all students to feel safe and respected in the forum to foster a positive and productive learning environment.