How Power Screws Work - Explained with Illustrations

In summary, the conversation is discussing how a power screw works and the principle behind it. One person compares it to the propeller of a ship, while another suggests it is similar to a linear actuator. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a "stall" angle and references existing notes on power screws for further information.
stan
hi

does anyone knows how a power screw works, illustrations would be helpful..
thanks

ss

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean the propeller of a ship?

It's the same principle as a regular screw...a wedge. What are you looking for?

If you're talking about say the propeller of a ship, then imagine an inclined plane sitting in a body of water. Then, just move it straight up through the water. The water will exert a force on the plane perpendicular to the plane. There will be two components of that force, one being in the x direction, a thurst load wanting to push the plane horizontally through the water.

Just note that this is very simplified, I'm sure there are other effects, and there is probably a "stall" angle where for a given rpm, and angle, the screw won't want to produce any axial force (although I would think you could go with a higher angle on a screw than just a straight propeller). Anyways...

I think Stan is referring to a linear actuator type of power screw.

Last edited:
OOOOoooo, power SCREW, haha. I have like a week and halfs worth of Machine Design notes on Power Screws somewhere at home. I'll look later for them

Related to How Power Screws Work - Explained with Illustrations

1. How do power screws work?

Power screws work by converting rotational motion into linear motion. A power screw consists of a threaded shaft and a nut with matching threads. When the shaft is rotated, the nut moves linearly along the shaft due to the interaction between the threads, creating a mechanical advantage.

2. What are the main components of a power screw?

The main components of a power screw include the threaded shaft, the nut, and any additional components such as bearings, thrust collars, and end supports. The threaded shaft is typically attached to a motor or other source of rotational motion, while the nut is attached to the load that needs to be moved.

3. How do you determine the mechanical advantage of a power screw?

The mechanical advantage of a power screw is determined by the ratio of the distance traveled by the load to the distance traveled by the input force. This ratio can be calculated by dividing the number of threads per inch (or millimeter) of the screw by the circumference of the screw. The larger the ratio, the greater the mechanical advantage.

4. What are the advantages of using power screws?

Power screws offer several advantages over other types of mechanisms for linear motion. They have a simple design, are easy to manufacture, and can provide a high mechanical advantage. They also have a self-locking feature, meaning that the nut will not move unless the shaft is rotated, making them ideal for applications that require precise positioning and holding of a load.

5. What are some common applications of power screws?

Power screws are commonly used in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. They are used in machinery for lifting and lowering heavy loads, as well as for precise positioning in equipment such as presses, jacks, and assembly machines. They are also commonly used in linear actuators for robotics and other automated systems.