How Much Energy Is Released from 1kg of Deuterium in Fusion?

In summary, we are trying to calculate the energy released by 1.0kg of deuterium through fusion of two 2_1 H atoms to form 3_1 H and 1_1 H atoms. The given atomic mass units for each atom are 2.01402u, 3.016049u, and 1.007825u respectively. Using the formula E=mc^2, we can calculate the energy released by 1 H atom and then multiply it by the number of atoms present in 1.0kg of deuterium. The correct calculation involves dividing the mass of deuterium by 2 and then dividing by 2 again, resulting in an energy released of approximately
desmond iking

Homework Statement

Two 2_1 H atoms undergo fusion to form 3_1 H and 1_1 H atom
calculate the energy released by 1.0kg of deuterium..
the amu is given as :2_1 H : 2.01402u
3_1 H : 3.016049u
1_1 H : 1.007825 u
P/s : i am sure that the energy produced is 3.89MeV ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5 x (1000/2) x 6.02x10^23 x 3.89MeV = 5.85x10^26 MeV

Is my working correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why both the 0.5 and the /2?
I get exactly double your answer by calculating the fraction of mass lost, then the total mass lost, then using E=mc2.

0.5 means there' re 2 H atom /2 means mrr 2g... I am calculating the energy released for 1 H atom...

So I divide 2

desmond iking said:
So I divide 2
Yes, but why twice (0.5, then /2)?

Mrr is 2g. And there re 2 H atom sow I divide 2 twice

desmond iking said:
Mrr is 2g. And there re 2 H atom sow I divide 2 twice
Sorry, you've lost me. What are Mrr and 2g in this context?

haruspex said:
Sorry, you've lost me. What are Mrr and 2g in this context?
molar mass of deuterium= 2g

Last edited:
desmond iking said:
molar mass of deuterium= 2g
Ah, OK. I didn't recognise it because you truncated it from the given 2.01402.
I've found the mistake in my own working and now get almost the same as you do: 5.80E26.

Related to How Much Energy Is Released from 1kg of Deuterium in Fusion?

1. What is fusion and how does it release energy?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy due to the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

2. What elements are involved in fusion reactions?

Fusion reactions typically involve light elements such as hydrogen, helium, and lithium. These elements have low atomic numbers and are easier to fuse compared to heavier elements.

3. How does fusion differ from fission in terms of energy release?

Fusion involves the combination of atomic nuclei, while fission involves the splitting of atomic nuclei. Fusion reactions release much more energy compared to fission reactions, but they also require much higher temperatures and pressures to initiate.

4. What are the potential benefits of harnessing fusion energy?

If fusion can be harnessed for energy production, it could provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It does not produce any greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste, making it a potential solution for our energy needs and climate change concerns.

5. What are the current challenges in achieving fusion energy?

The main challenge in achieving fusion energy is creating and maintaining the extreme conditions required for fusion to occur, such as high temperatures and pressures. Additionally, there are technical challenges in containing and controlling the plasma, as well as finding suitable materials to withstand the extreme conditions. Research and development efforts are ongoing to overcome these challenges and make fusion energy a viable option for the future.