How Many Ways to Arrange Five Colored Balls with Specific Conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of aligning 5 balls picked at random, with the requirement that one must be blue, one red, and one yellow. The speaker proposes a solution of 5*4*3*(27 Permute 2) and suggests simulating the process in a computer package for verification.
erogard
Hi, here's the question, I just need someone to confirm that I'm doing it right (been a while since my last stat class):

Let's say I have 30 balls all of different colors. I want to know in how many different ways I can align 5 balls picked at random (thus ordering matters). Note that one must be blue, one red and one yellow.

So let's start with the blue one. I have 5 different ways to arrange it (either place it first in line, or second, or third etc.). Then let's say I'm looking a the red one: I have 4 ways left to arrange it. Finally I have 3 slots left for the yellow one. Now for the remaining 2 balls, I still have 27 balls to choose from.

Would the answer be 5*4*3*(27 Permute 2)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey erogard.

That looks right to me.

Also if you want to test things like this, what I recommend you do is simulate the stochastic process in a computer package like R and then look at the probability of the event happening over say 10,000 or 100,000 iterations (which is quick with modern day computers).

This is always a good way for you to independently verify your own work.

How many balls are blue, red, and yellow within the 30 balls?

Related to How Many Ways to Arrange Five Colored Balls with Specific Conditions?

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a mathematical concept that refers to the arrangement of a set of objects in a particular order. It is a way of counting the number of possible ways to arrange a set of items.

2. How is a permutation different from a combination?

A permutation involves arranging objects in a specific order, while a combination does not consider the order in which objects are arranged. In other words, the order matters in permutations, but not in combinations.

3. What is the difference between a permutation with repetition and without repetition?

A permutation with repetition allows for the repetition of objects in an arrangement, while a permutation without repetition does not allow for any repetition. For example, a permutation with repetition of the letters "A" and "B" could result in the arrangements "AA" and "AB," while a permutation without repetition would only include "AB."

4. How do you calculate the number of permutations in a given problem?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged. For example, if you have 5 objects and want to arrange 3 of them, the number of permutations would be 5P3 = 5! / (5-3)! = 5! / 2! = (5x4x3) / (2x1) = 60.

5. What are some real-life examples of permutations?

Permutations can be seen in many different scenarios, such as arranging letters in a word, arranging a deck of cards, or arranging students in a line. Other examples include creating unique passwords using a set of characters, arranging furniture in a room, or creating different combinations of toppings on a pizza.