How is time incorporated into the robertson walker metric?

In summary: When k becomes negative, the metric has the signature you mention, with time in the opposite direction to the spatial dimensions.
NihalRi
I watched a lecture that derived the robertson walker metric by creating a metric to describe a four dimensional sphere in three dimensions. Then from minkowski's equation-

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/dWewIZYdx7aQRy2DtIjNF60tzgEdwxmrbyaqHl1QsAGyrENiErbEKLdBESnKijWbHk0UAnK4tRxkvi2Uiz-ZGUV7N3560lx8wdKofZY-YALhDORrks_t80D5gX38Y8Vtcf2lDg=w252-h22-nc
the time variable was added.

And this equation came by using pythagorus' theorem on the minkowskian plane. So my question is, why is there a minus sign after the time variable? I would have thought is to be a plus.

The final equation became-
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcK8MqiPRTuzgePhCbqWvJZiISlgxIU3ZM03jKI3zmghE98fHt.png

Space news on Phys.org
Time is in the negative direction in Minkowski as with GR.

You could always instead give three spatial dimensions as negative, with positive signs, but whichever way, the 'metric signature' will always have time in the opposite sign to the spatial dimensions.

It used to be a lot more difficult to deal with when considered as time axis having an imaginary component:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_rotation

Last edited:
Likes NihalRi
Interesting, Does negetive time imply anything?

_PJ_ said:
Time is in the negative direction in Minkowski as with GR.

You could always instead give three spatial dimensions as negative, with positive signs, but whichever way, the 'metric signature' will always have time in the opposite sign to the spatial dimensions.

NihalRi said:
Interesting, Does negetive time imply anything?

It is a property of the spacetime interval, which is based upon the difference between the squared time interval and the squared space interval between events. Negative time per se is not involved. Which one is subtracted depends on the type of interval: timelike intervals have the space interval after the negative sign and vice versa for spacelike intervals.

Likes NihalRi
I might be digressing but I had thought spacelike and timelike referred to situations where there isn't a change in time and when the isn't a change in space respectively. Could it be that there is a boundary between the two(lightlike?) and our universe is leaning towards timelike. And does this have anything to do with how our universe is open? With an open universe I'd assume the space increases faster than time and that the robertson walker would have the time interval after the minus sign which clearly isn't the case so I'm confused.

Oh and I also read something about the value of k determining if our universe is open or closed how does that fall into all this.

NihalRi said:
I might be digressing but I had thought spacelike and timelike referred to situations where there isn't a change in time and when the isn't a change in space respectively. Could it be that there is a boundary between the two(lightlike?) and our universe is leaning towards timelike.
No, timelike spacetime intervals mean that the time interval between two events is larger than the space interval, i.e any interval where ##(c\Delta T)^2 > (\Delta X)^2 ## for flat spacetime. It also means that a material body can move between the two events at v<c. The opposite is true for spacelike intervals and lightlike intervals occur, as you suggested, when the two are equal and only light can move between the two events. For curved spacetime like our universe, the situation is a little more complex, but the same principle applies. But the universe is not timelike or spacelike: the terms apply only to events in spacetime.

NihalRi said:
Oh and I also read something about the value of k determining if our universe is open or closed how does that fall into all this.
Yes, 'k' in the RW metric is the curvature parameter. As you can see, it only affects the a(t) part of the RW metric, but the expansion factor a(t) is obviously a function of time, hence it represents spacetime curvature. When k=0, you have the Minkowski metric, just expressed in polar coordinates, not Cartesian as in you first equation.

Likes NihalRi

Related to How is time incorporated into the robertson walker metric?

1. How does the Robertson Walker metric incorporate time?

The Robertson Walker metric is a mathematical framework used in cosmology to describe the geometry and dynamics of the universe. It incorporates time through the use of a time-dependent scale factor, which determines the expansion or contraction of the universe over time.

2. What is the role of time in the Robertson Walker metric?

Time plays a crucial role in the Robertson Walker metric as it is used to describe the evolution of the universe. The metric includes a time component that allows for the calculation of distances and the expansion rate of the universe.

3. How is time related to the spatial components in the Robertson Walker metric?

In the Robertson Walker metric, time is related to the spatial components through the time-dependent scale factor. This factor determines the relative sizes of the spatial dimensions, which can change over time due to the expansion or contraction of the universe.

4. Can the Robertson Walker metric be used to study the history of the universe?

Yes, the Robertson Walker metric is often used to study the history of the universe. By analyzing the time and spatial components of the metric, scientists can make predictions about the evolution of the universe and its past states.

5. How does the incorporation of time in the Robertson Walker metric affect our understanding of the universe?

The incorporation of time in the Robertson Walker metric allows us to better understand the dynamic nature of the universe. It helps us to study the expansion of the universe, its age, and the origins of the universe, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe as a whole.