How Is the Revenue Function R(x) = 500x(30-x) Derived for the Cable Firm?

• Thread starter Bitter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses the revenue function of a cable television firm, which is determined by the total monthly charge and number of customers. The function is represented by R(x) = 500x(30-x), where 30 is the given information and represents the maximum monthly fee that would result in 0 households with the service. The conversation also briefly touches on a question about a mathematical function. The answer is that the function does not have a hole in the graph because the common factor, x^2 + 1, is never equal to 0.
Bitter
The problem is this

A cable television firm presently serves 5000 households and charrges 20 dollars per month. A marketing survey indicates that each decrease of 1 dollar in the monthly charge will result in 500 new customers. Let R(x) denote the total monthly revenue when the monthly charge is x dollars.

Determine the revenue function R

The back of the book says
R(x)=500x(30-x)

I don't see where the 30 comes from, can anyone tell me?

Physics news on Phys.org
30 is given information. It is obtained by observing that increasing the monthly fee by 10 dollars from 20 would result in 0 households with the service.

ah! Thank you. I feel stupid now. how could i overlook that.

Well, since my new problem relates to basic functions, I figured I'll just reuse to this topic.

This isn't exactly homework, but I just have a question.

Why does (x^2+1)(x-1)/(x^2 + 1)(x-2) not have a hole in the graph despite having a common factor?

Because x2+ 1 is never 0.

Related to How Is the Revenue Function R(x) = 500x(30-x) Derived for the Cable Firm?

1. What is the basic function of a scientific inquiry?

The basic function of a scientific inquiry is to explore, discover and understand the natural world through systematic observation, experimentation, and analysis of collected data. It involves asking questions, formulating hypotheses, and testing them using evidence-based methods.

2. How do I develop a hypothesis for my scientific inquiry?

To develop a hypothesis, you need to first identify a problem or question that you want to investigate. Then, based on your observations and background research, you can make an educated guess about the possible answer or explanation. Your hypothesis should be testable, specific, and based on existing knowledge.

3. What are the key components of the scientific method?

The scientific method involves several key components, including making observations, asking questions, developing a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence. It also involves replication and peer review to ensure the validity and reliability of the results.

4. How do I analyze and interpret my data in a scientific inquiry?

To analyze and interpret data, you can use various statistical and graphical methods. These include calculating the mean, median, and mode, creating charts or graphs to visualize the data, and conducting statistical tests to determine if there are any significant differences or correlations. It is important to use appropriate methods and to also consider any potential sources of error.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on one part of my scientific inquiry?

If you are having trouble with a particular part of your scientific inquiry, it is important to seek help from your peers, mentors, or other experts in the field. You can also revisit your research question and hypothesis to see if they need to be revised or if there are any alternative approaches you can take. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance and to keep an open mind during the scientific process.