How is the quotient of two constants calculated in a given equation?

In summary: F_1+F_2)^2 and (F_1+F_2+\sqrt{2})^2?The difference between (F_1+F_2)^2 and (F_1+F_2+\sqrt{2})^2 is that the second equation has the variable on both sides of the equal sign whereas the first equation only has the variable on one side of the equal sign.
fysiikka111

Homework Statement

Part of a larger problem. I know that
[tex]F_{1}^2+2F_{1}F_{2}-F_{2}^2=0[/tex]
where [tex]F_{1}[/tex] and [tex]F_{2}[/tex] are x and y components of a force. Hence
[tex]\frac{F_{1}}{F_{2}}=1\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]
I can't see how that step is done.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]{F_{1}=\sqrt{F_{2}^2+2F_{1}F_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F_{2}=\sqrt{F_{1}^2-2F_{1}F_{2}}[/tex]
Stuck here.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were asked to solve [tex]x^2+2x=0[/tex] for x, you wouldn't say [tex]x=\sqrt{-2x}[/tex] but would rather solve it using the quadratic formula. Do the same for F1 and F2, you can treat F1 as the variable x that you need to solve and F2 as a constant, and vice versa.

Mentallic said:
If you were asked to solve [tex]x^2+2x=0[/tex] for x, you wouldn't say [tex]x=\sqrt{-2x}[/tex] but would rather solve it using the quadratic formula. Do the same for F1 and F2, you can treat F1 as the variable x that you need to solve and F2 as a constant, and vice versa.

I did actually try that way also, with answer:
[tex]\frac{F_{1}}{F_{2}}=\frac{F_{2}\pm\sqrt{1+F_{2}^2}}{-F_{1}\pm\sqrt{1+F_{1}^2}}[/tex]
I can't see how to simplify that either. But since F1 and F2 are constants, isn't it meaningless to take their roots?
Thanks

fysiikka111 said:
I did actually try that way also, with answer:
[tex]\frac{F_{1}}{F_{2}}=\frac{F_{2}\pm\sqrt{1+F_{2}^2}}{-F_{1}\pm\sqrt{1+F_{1}^2}}[/tex]
Note quite, if we have [tex]x^2+2xy-y^2=0[/tex] and solve for x, we get [tex]x=\frac{-2y\pm\sqrt{4y^2+4y^2}}{2}=y\left(-1\pm\sqrt{2}\right)[/tex]

fysiikka111 said:
I can't see how to simplify that either. But since F1 and F2 are constants, isn't it meaningless to take their roots?
Thanks

What do you mean take their roots? As in use the quadratic formula to solve them? They can be thought of as variables even though they are actually constant. We are able to interchange between F1 being a variable and F2 the constant and vice versa.

Thanks!

fysiikka111 said:

Homework Statement

Part of a larger problem. I know that
[tex]F_{1}^2+2F_{1}F_{2}-F_{2}^2=0[/tex]
where [tex]F_{1}[/tex] and [tex]F_{2}[/tex] are x and y components of a force. Hence
[tex]\frac{F_{1}}{F_{2}}=1\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]
I can't see how that step is done.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]{F_{1}=\sqrt{F_{2}^2+2F_{1}F_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F_{2}=\sqrt{F_{1}^2-2F_{1}F_{2}}[/tex]
Stuck here.
Thanks

To add to what Mentallic said, when you solve for a variable, you end up with an equation in which the variable appears by itself on one side and does not appear on the other side. You have not solved for F1 if it appears on both sides of your final equation. Same for F2.

For example, if x2 + 2x - 1 = 0, you have not solved for x if you rewrite this equation as
[tex]x = \pm \sqrt{1 - 2x}[/tex]

I would have done it this way:
Complete the square
[tex]F_1^2+ 2F_1F_2- F_2^2= F_1^2+ 2F_1F_2+ F_2^2- 2F_2^2[/tex]
[tex]= (F_1+ F_2)^2- 2F_2^2[/tex]
a "difference of squares" which can be written a "product of sum and difference" so
[tex](F_1+ F_2)^2- 2F_2^2= (F_1+ F_2- \sqrt{2}F_2)(F_1+ F_2+ \sqrt{2)F_2)= 0[/tex]
so we must have either
[tex]F_1+ F_2- \sqrt{2}F_2= F_1+ (1-\sqrt{2})F_2= 0[/tex]
so that [itex]F_1= (1-\sqrt{2})F_2[/itex] and so
[tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex]

or
[tex]F_1+ F_2+ \sqrt{2}F_2= F_1+ (1+\sqrt{2}) F_2= 0[/tex]
so that [itex]F_1= (1+ \sqrt{2})F_2[/itex] and so
[tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
I would have done it this way:
Complete the square
[tex]F_1^2+ 2F_1F_2- F_2^2= F_1^2+ 2F_1F_2+ F_2^2- 2F_2^2[/tex]
[tex]= (F_1+ F_2)^2- 2F_2^2[/tex]
a "difference of squares" which can be written a "product of sum and difference" so
[tex](F_1+ F_2)^2- 2F_2^2= (F_1+ F_2- \sqrt{2}F_2)(F_1+ F_2+ \sqrt{2)F_2)= 0[/tex]
so we must have either
[tex]F_1+ F_2- \sqrt{2}F_2= F_1+ (1-\sqrt{2})F_2= 0[/tex]
so that [itex]F_1= (1-\sqrt{2})F_2[/itex] and so
[tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex]

or
[tex]F_1+ F_2+ \sqrt{2}F_2= F_1+ (1+\sqrt{2}) F_2= 0[/tex]
so that [itex]F_1= (1+ \sqrt{2})F_2[/itex] and so
[tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/tex]

Ahh much more elegant :wink:
Just a little query - your math says [tex]F_1+(1-\sqrt{2})F_2=0[/tex] so solving from this we should get [tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}=-(1-\sqrt{2})[/tex] and also [tex]F_1+(1+\sqrt{2})F_2=0[/tex] thus [tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2}=-(1+\sqrt{2})[/tex]

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious here...

Related to How is the quotient of two constants calculated in a given equation?

1. What is the definition of a quotient of two constants?

A quotient of two constants is the result of dividing one constant by another constant. It can also be thought of as the ratio between the two constants.

2. Can the quotient of two constants be a non-constant value?

No, the quotient of two constants will always be a constant value. This is because dividing two constants will result in a fixed numerical value that does not change.

3. How do you calculate the quotient of two constants?

To calculate the quotient of two constants, simply divide the first constant by the second constant using long division or a calculator. The result will be the quotient of the two constants.

4. What is the significance of finding the quotient of two constants in scientific research?

The quotient of two constants can be used to determine relationships and patterns between different variables. It can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions in scientific experiments and studies.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when finding the quotient of two constants?

Yes, there are certain limitations and restrictions when finding the quotient of two constants. For example, if the second constant is equal to zero, the quotient will be undefined. Additionally, certain mathematical operations may not be possible with certain constants, leading to an undefined quotient.