How Is the Kinetic Energy of a Proton Calculated in an Electric Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the kinetic energy of a proton in a uniform electric field. The formula used is KE = q * E * s and the result is converted from J to MeV. The book and the person's answer differ, but upon checking, the person's calculation of 5000 MeV is correct. The potential difference between the two endpoints is also mentioned, and it is noted that the proton's charge e is needed in the units. It is concluded that the person's line of thought is not incorrect and the book may have made a mistake.
Peter G.
Hi,

A proton initially at rest finds itself in a region of uniform electric field of magnitude 5.0 x 106 Vm-1. The electric field accelerates the proton for a distance of 1 km.

Find the kinetic energy of the proton.

So, what I did was the following:

KE = q * E * s

I then converted the result from J to MeV. I, however, get 5000 MeV and the book gets 500 MeV. Is my line of thought incorrect?

Thanks once again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is right for the given numbers.

Thanks! I checked and rechecked my calculations and numbers several times before posting here and I was about to go crazy! I guess the book made a mistake (everyone has the right to!)

Given the numbers for the electric field and distance, you should be able to calculate the potential difference of 5000 MV between the two endpoints. Because the proton has charge e, to get the work done, you just stick an e in front of the V in the units. If you do that, you can see pretty easily 5000 MeV is correct. You don't need to worry that you made a mistake while converting units.

Hello,

Your line of thought is not incorrect, but it seems like you may have missed a step in your calculation. The kinetic energy of a particle is given by the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity. In this case, the proton is initially at rest, so its initial velocity is 0. Therefore, we can rewrite the formula as KE = 1/2 * m * (vf^2 - vi^2), where vf is the final velocity after being accelerated by the electric field and vi is the initial velocity (0). We can also use the formula for work, W = q * E * s, where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, and s is the distance the particle travels. So, we can rewrite the kinetic energy formula as KE = q * E * s = 1/2 * m * (vf^2 - vi^2). Rearranging, we get vf^2 = (2qEs)/m. Now we just need to find the final velocity of the proton after traveling 1 km in the electric field. We can use the equations of motion to do this, specifically vf^2 - vi^2 = 2as, where a is the acceleration and s is the distance traveled. Since the proton is being accelerated by the electric field, we can substitute the electric field for the acceleration, giving us vf^2 = 2Es. Plugging this into our previous equation, we get KE = q * E * s = 1/2 * m * (2Es) = mEs. Now we just need to convert the result from J to MeV. The conversion factor is 1 MeV = 1.602 x 10^-13 J, so we can rewrite our formula as KE = mEs * (1 MeV/1.602 x 10^-13 J). Plugging in the values of m, E, and s, we get KE = (1.67 x 10^-27 kg) * (5.0 x 10^6 V/m) * (1000 m) * (1 MeV/1.602 x 10^-13 J) = 523 MeV, which is closer to the book's answer of 500 MeV. It's possible that you may have missed a conversion factor or made a

Related to How Is the Kinetic Energy of a Proton Calculated in an Electric Field?

1. What is the concept of relativistic energy?

The concept of relativistic energy refers to the energy of an object in motion, taking into account the effects of relativity. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, its energy increases significantly due to mass and time dilation.

2. How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

Relativistic energy takes into account the effects of relativity, including the increased mass and time dilation of an object in motion. This is in contrast to classical energy, which does not consider these effects and is based on the mass and velocity of an object.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic energy?

The equation for calculating relativistic energy is E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that as the speed of an object approaches the speed of light, its energy also increases exponentially.

4. How does relativistic energy impact objects in motion?

Relativistic energy has a significant impact on objects in motion, particularly as they approach the speed of light. As an object's energy increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate. Additionally, time dilation occurs, meaning that time appears to pass more slowly for the object in motion from an outside perspective.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy has numerous real-world applications, including in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to incredibly high speeds and energies. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of objects in space, such as stars and galaxies, and helps to explain phenomena like black holes. Relativistic energy also has practical applications in the design of spacecraft and satellites.