How is the book "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics"?

CGandC
I learned some computer science basics from the book SICP ( Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Authors: Gerald Jay Sussman, Hal Abelson, Julie Sussman ) and I've witnessed a book about mechanics from the same author called Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics, authors: Jack Wisdom, Gerald Jay Sussman.
How is it as a book that teaches classical mechanics ( I have experience in physics but that was long time ago )? is it worthwhile investing the time?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
I can only assume that you looked it up on Amazon. Just because a book is not famous (talked about here or on StackExchange) doesn't mean it can't be a gem waiting to be found. This is under MIT Press and I'm pretty sure it was well reviewed by the corpus of the prestigious school. The price is high, maybe a used copy somewhere can be made available for at least 1/2 a price.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
The book seems to be adjusted to those who are interested in numerical computations. Not my cup of tea.

Likes PhDeezNutz
I like how the book seems to relate physics to computer programs/numerical computations. The only downside is that some of the notations in the book are non-standard but that shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll order a copy once I'll have time to immerse myself into it. Thanks!

Likes vanhees71
Gerry Sussman is a professor of computer science, so what you say is not surprising. In general, I would consider physics texts written by non-physicists at best as intended for a narrow and specialized audience.

Likes vanhees71