How is sinusoidal current generated?

In summary: Alternating currents are generated by rotating a magnet around an axis that is at an angle to the direction of the current flow.
Kenny Bala
I'm delving into AC as well as attempting to understand the various wave forms used in electrical engineering, and I am curious how engineers are able to generate current which alternates in a sinusoidal manner. What specific phenomena allows us to achieve this? Is it a special circuit, or does it have to do purely with the electromagnetics of a current generator?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Circular function relative motion between magnetic flux and conductor.

Doug Huffman said:
Circular function relative motion between magnetic flux and conductor.

is the usual mechanical way ( power generating station, alternator in a car)

it can also be done purely electronically
say a Wien Bridge oscillator

Dave

HIgh current inverters are problematic. In my industry we used zero to adjustable low frequency stepping resistors to roughly simulate 3-phase 'alternating' current.

Kenny Bala said:
I'm delving into AC as well as attempting to understand the various wave forms used in electrical engineering, and I am curious how engineers are able to generate current which alternates in a sinusoidal manner. What specific phenomena allows us to achieve this? Is it a special circuit, or does it have to do purely with the electromagnetics of a current generator?

Thanks!

You can also use a Waveform Generator IC to make sine, triangle and square waves (as well as other waveforms). That is how basic signal generator equipment works:

http://www.analog.com/en/rfif-components/direct-digital-synthesis-dds/ad9833/products/product.html

:-)

Kenny Bala said:

Thanks!
Hydroelectric generators (the kind at big power stations run by water, such as at the Hover Dam) automatically generated AC electricity. For that matter, ANY uniformly revolving power source (wind, water, whatever) will cause a generator to produce AC electricity.

It's producing DC electricity that is difficult ... it is normally done they easy way by first generating AC, which is easy, and then using a full wave rectifier and associate circuit to convert it to DC.

The current alternates in a sinusoidal manner because of the natural geometry involved in a rotating polarized magnetic field intersecting a wire. As said previously, creating DC is problematic. Producing currents requires changing magnetic fields. Simple motions result in sinusoidal currents.

Related to How is sinusoidal current generated?

1. How is sinusoidal current generated?

Sinusoidal current is generated through the use of an alternating current (AC) source, such as a generator or transformer. The AC source produces a changing voltage that causes the current to alternate in a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What is the difference between sinusoidal current and other types of current?

Sinusoidal current is a type of alternating current (AC) that has a smooth and symmetrical waveform, whereas other types of current, such as square or triangular, have a more jagged or asymmetrical waveform.

3. How is the frequency of sinusoidal current determined?

The frequency of sinusoidal current is determined by the frequency of the AC source. In most countries, the standard frequency for AC power is 50 or 60 Hz.

4. Can sinusoidal current be converted to other types of current?

Yes, sinusoidal current can be converted to other types of current through the use of electronic devices, such as rectifiers or inverters. These devices can change the shape or frequency of the current to suit specific applications.

5. What are the practical applications of sinusoidal current?

Sinusoidal current is used in a variety of electronic devices, including household appliances, motors, and power distribution systems. It is also commonly used in audio and radio frequency circuits. Additionally, sinusoidal current is the standard form of current used in AC power systems.