How Is Power Calculated in a Conveyor Belt System?

In summary, the first problem involves a conveyor belt lifting 1000kg of rocks per minute a vertical distance of 10m. The rocks are ejected at 5 m/s and the power supplied to the machine is calculated to be 416.75W. For the second problem, water runs out of a horizontal pipe at a rate of 120kg/min and falls 3.20m to the ground. The average vertical force exerted on the ground by the water is solved to be 376.8N.
ReMa
I have two questions regarding this, any help would be GREAT!

1st Problem:

Homework Statement

A conveyor belt lifts 1000kg of rocks per minute a vertical distance of 10m. The rocks are at rest at the bottom of the belt and are ejected at 5 m/s. The power supplied to this machine is:

A) 1000W
B) 1260W
C) 1630W
D) 1840W
E) 2100 W

Homework Equations

P=Fv

p=mv
[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]\Delta[/tex]T=m(vf-vo)

The Attempt at a Solution

vo = 0m/s
vf = 5m/s

1000kg/min = 16.67kg/s

sumF[tex]\Delta[/tex]T=m(vf-vo)
sumF=m(vf-vo)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
sumF=m(vf)-m(vo)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

since vo = 0/ms

sumF=m(vf)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
sumF=m/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T (vf)

subbing in values...

m/dT = 16.67kg/s

F = (16.67)(5) = 83.35N

and now for Power...
P = Fv
P = 83.35(5) = 416.75W

Now, I know I've done something wrong, especially as I haven't accounted for height. I feel like I am EXTREMELY off with attempting to solve this so i'd appreciate any help.2nd Problem:

Homework Statement

Water runs out of a horizontal pipe at the rate of 120kg/min. It falls 3.20m to the ground. Assuming the water doesn't splash up, what average vertical force does it exert on the ground?

Homework Equations

P=Fv

p=mv
sumF[tex]\Delta[/tex]T=m(vf-vo)

The Attempt at a Solution

SOLVED THIS ONE - if anyone else needs the solution though let me know and i'll post it.
Still need help on the first though... workin' on it however.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, ignore the forces within the machine. Ask yourself what happens to the rocks every second (Think energy rather than momentum)

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track with the first problem, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, the power supplied to the machine is not the same as the force exerted on the rocks. Power is the rate at which work is done, which is equal to force multiplied by velocity (P=Fv). In this case, the power supplied to the machine is the product of the force exerted on the rocks (which you calculated correctly as 83.35N) and the velocity at which the rocks are ejected (5m/s). So the correct answer for the power supplied to the machine would be 83.35N x 5m/s = 416.75W.

Now, in order to solve for the force exerted on the rocks, you need to consider the change in momentum of the rocks. The equation for momentum is p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In this case, the rocks are initially at rest (vo=0m/s) and are ejected at a velocity of 5m/s (vf=5m/s). So the change in momentum, or impulse, is given by the equation \Delta p = m(vf-vo). Since the mass of the rocks is 1000kg, the impulse is equal to 1000kg x (5m/s - 0m/s) = 5000kgm/s. This is equal to the force exerted on the rocks (83.35N) multiplied by the time it takes for the rocks to be lifted (1 minute or 60 seconds). So the equation is \Delta p = F \Delta t, or 5000kgm/s = 83.35N x 60s. Solving for the force, we get F = 5000kgm/s / 60s = 83.33N, which is the same answer you calculated earlier.

So in summary, the power supplied to the machine is 416.75W and the force exerted on the rocks is 83.33N. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Is Power Calculated in a Conveyor Belt System?

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum over time, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How do you calculate impulse?

Impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied, or by finding the area under a force-time graph.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How does momentum affect an object's motion?

Momentum is a measure of an object's resistance to a change in its motion. Objects with larger momentum will be more difficult to stop or change direction, while objects with smaller momentum will be easier to change.

5. What are some real-life applications of impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are important concepts in sports, such as in the motion of a baseball being hit by a bat or a hockey puck being struck by a stick. They are also crucial in understanding car collisions and the safety measures involved in car design. In rocket propulsion, the principle of conservation of momentum is used to propel the rocket forward by expelling exhaust gases in the opposite direction.