How Is Kinetic Friction Calculated in Skier's Uphill Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done by the kinetic frictional force and the magnitude of the force acting on a skier coasting up a snow-covered hill. The equations used were W=FX and a=(v^2-v0^2)/2x, with a possible sign error in the calculation. The correct solution was found using the equation 1/2mv^2-1/2mv0^2-mgxsinθ for (a) and -1390J for (b).
onyxorca

Homework Statement

A 64.9-kg skier coasts up a snow-covered hill that makes an angle of 23.4 ° with the horizontal. The initial speed of the skier is 8.95 m/s. After coasting a distance of 2.31 m up the slope, the speed of the skier is 4.40 m/s. (a) Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis. (b) What is the magnitude of the kinetic frictional force?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/art/qb/qu/c06/EAT_12258936060120_435296769488702.gif

Homework Equations

W=FX 2K=mv^2 a=(v^2-v0^2)/2x

The Attempt at a Solution

for (b) i used f=ma-mg sinθ,

or 1/2mv^2-1/2mv0^2-mgxsinθ for (a),

but neither was right...

Physics news on Phys.org
1/2mv^2-1/2mv0^2-mgxsinθ for (a)
looks good to me. What did you get?

Delphi51 said:
1/2mv^2-1/2mv0^2-mgxsinθ for (a)
looks good to me. What did you get?

I think there may be a sign error here?

[itex]\rm \Delta E = K_f - K_i + U_{f_{grav}}-U_{i_{grav}} = \frac{1}{2}m (v_f^2-v_i^2) +mg s Sin\theta = -1390J[/itex]

Correct! thank you!

onyxorca said:
Correct! thank you!

You're welcome. If I had $1 for every time I've made a sign error in my lifetime, well, I'd own beach-front property in South Hampton. :smile:

Related to How Is Kinetic Friction Calculated in Skier's Uphill Motion?

1. What is kinetic frictional force?

Kinetic frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or moves across a surface.

2. How is kinetic frictional force different from static frictional force?

Kinetic frictional force acts on an object in motion, while static frictional force acts on an object at rest.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic frictional force?

The magnitude of kinetic frictional force is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the two surfaces together, and the normal force between the surfaces.

4. How is the direction of kinetic frictional force determined?

The direction of kinetic frictional force is always opposite to the direction of the object's motion.

5. How is kinetic frictional force calculated?

Kinetic frictional force can be calculated using the formula Fk = μkN, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force between the surfaces.