How High Can Basketball Players Jump?

• Thread starter Intr3pid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary, the best rebounders in basketball have a vertical leap of 120cm. To find their initial "launch" speed off the ground, one would need to use the equations of motion and plug in the known displacement, acceleration due to gravity, final velocity, and solve for the initial velocity. The length of time they are in the air can also be calculated using these equations.
Intr3pid
the best rebounders in basketball have a vertical leap (that is, the vertical movement of a fixed point on their body) of 120cm.

a) what is their initial "launch" speed off the ground?

b) how long are they in the air?

i don't want you guys to give me an answer. Can you guys point me in the right direction on how to solve these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about your equations of motion. What I do is write down the variables that I know, and the variable that I want to know, then find the equation that has all of those in it.
So for this case you know that.
x = 1.2m (displacement)
a = -9.8m/s^2 (accelleration due to gravity)
v = 0 (final velocity, this occurs when they are at maximum height)
u = ? (initial velocity, what you need to find)
So you need to find the equation that uses x, a, v, and u and solve it.

Sure, I'd be happy to provide some guidance on how to approach these questions. The first step would be to understand the equation for vertical leap, which is:

Vertical Leap = (Initial Launch Speed)^2 / (2 * Acceleration Due to Gravity)

In this case, we are given the vertical leap (120cm) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the initial launch speed:

Initial Launch Speed = √(2 * Acceleration Due to Gravity * Vertical Leap)

Now, for part (a), we can plug in the values we have:

Initial Launch Speed = √(2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 120cm)

Remember to convert the vertical leap from cm to m by dividing by 100:

Initial Launch Speed = √(2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * 1.2 m)

Simplifying, we get:

Initial Launch Speed = √23.52 m^2/s^2

Taking the square root, we get:

Initial Launch Speed = 4.85 m/s

So, the initial launch speed off the ground is approximately 4.85 m/s.

For part (b), we can use the equation for time of flight:

Time of Flight = (2 * Initial Launch Speed) / Acceleration Due to Gravity

Again, we can plug in the values we have:

Time of Flight = (2 * 4.85 m/s) / 9.8 m/s^2

Simplifying, we get:

Time of Flight = 0.99 seconds

So, the best rebounders in basketball are in the air for approximately 0.99 seconds.

I hope this helps you to solve these questions. Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. Good luck!

Related to How High Can Basketball Players Jump?

What is the basic formula for calculating vertical leap?

The basic formula for calculating vertical leap is: vertical leap = (gravity x time^2)/8

How do you calculate gravity for the vertical leap equation?

Gravity can be calculated by multiplying the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) by the height of the jump (in meters) and dividing by the time in seconds squared.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the vertical leap equation?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the vertical leap equation, including the individual's body composition, technique, and fatigue level.

Can the vertical leap equation be used for any type of jump?

The vertical leap equation is specifically designed for calculating standing vertical jumps. It may not be as accurate for other types of jumps, such as running jumps.

Is the vertical leap equation the only method for measuring vertical jump height?

No, there are other methods for measuring vertical jump height, including using specialized equipment like jump mats or force plates, or performing a jump test such as the vertical jump test or the Sargent jump test.