How Far Does a Ball Travel After Rolling Off an Incline?

In summary, a 30 degree inline sits on a 1.1 meter high table. A ball rolls of the incline with a velocity of 2m/s. The ball travels across the room before reaching the floor.
Scholar1

Homework Statement

A 30 degree inline sits on a 1.1 meter high table. A ball rolls of the incline with a velocity of 2m/s. How far does the ball travel acoss the room before reaching the floor?

Homework Equations

deltax= vot + 1/2at^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

http:///Users/abhi18/Downloads/IMG_8305.JPG http://postimg.org/image/albcq37in/
The attempt is here

http://postimg(DOT)org/image/albcq37in/ [/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Scholar, welcome to PF :smile: !

I can't make your image appear, there's something wrong with the link. Never mind, PF prefers with great emphasis that you post your working by typing it in (there's a zillion of pictures in existing threads that can't be seen any more).

You mention one releveant equation for motion in the x-direction with an acceleration. What acceleration is there in the x-direction after the ball has left the incline ?
And what about the y-direction ?

Hi! The link will appear if you change the (DOT) to .

Please see the picture because it would be very hard for me to type all the calculations.

I would greatly appreciate it!

Scholar1 said:
Hi! The link will appear if you change the (DOT) to .

Please see the picture because it would be very hard for me to type all the calculations.

I would greatly appreciate it!
I see you obtained a quadratic for t but I do not see a solution for it.
Neither do I see an equation for ##\Delta x##.

Done that. What's the argument for replacing the dot by "(DOT)" ? I mean, the "(AT)" instead of @ suppresses some of the junk mail, but what havoc does the (DOT) prevent ?

Anyway, I also disagree with
it would be very hard for me to type all the calculations
The PF tools are just fine for these few equations.

You have the answer on the same page as the question ! Comfortable ! So why bring in ##\Delta x= v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2 ## ?

Please render the quadratic expression they mention; we'll take it from there.

(-4.9t^2)+t-1.1

Using quadratic formula I obtained -.383s and 0.586s. I was confused by the result so to avoid quadratic I tried to find Vfy to avoid the quadratic. So I used Vfy^2=Vo^2+2adeltaY.
Vf^2=1+(2*-9.8*-1.1)=22.56
Vf^2= -4.750m/s I used negative because the object is falling.
Vf=Vo+at
(-4.750-1)/(-9.8)=t
t=0.586s
The book says t=0.383s
Either the work book is wrong or I am wrong.

Ok, you're making an effort. Note the nice buttons in the green bar for squares and subscripts ... :rolleyes: and funny faces :smile:

Words fail me ! You too apparently, because (-4.9t^2)+t-1.1 is very very terse. Does it mean you calculate ##
\Delta y= v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2##, in other words you want this to end up as zero ? My guess is the initial velocity is negative and ##\Delta y## is negative too; how does that show up in your expression ?

I solved it. Thank you. Here is the solution.
IMG_8307.jpg

Sigh ...

Just because I didn't use the tools you suggested I am incompetent?

By no means you are incompetent ! You solved it, in a way with which you are comfortable. The sigh was only because for others your ways are hard to follow. Not to mention the pain in the neck from leaning over 90 degrees in order to read it ... :smile:

(but you rotated since I posted, thanks ! :wink: )

Last edited:
I fixed the picture! :wink:.

Anyways thanks something you said made me realize my error. Please understand this is my first post ever on this site so maybe I wasn't very clear.

You'll be fine. They tried to teach me to work neatly and failed. But I have to admit it works better in the long run.

Related to How Far Does a Ball Travel After Rolling Off an Incline?

1. What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically in the x and y directions. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in a two-dimensional coordinate system.

2. How is 2D kinematics different from 1D kinematics?

1D kinematics only involves motion in one direction, usually the x or y direction. 2D kinematics, on the other hand, involves motion in both the x and y directions simultaneously.

3. What are the key equations used in 2D kinematics?

The key equations used in 2D kinematics are the kinematic equations, which include equations for position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. These equations are derived from the basic equations of motion, such as d = v0t + 1/2at2 and v = v0 + at.

4. How do you solve a 2D kinematics problem?

To solve a 2D kinematics problem, you must first identify the known and unknown variables, and then select the appropriate kinematic equation(s) to use. You can then plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable(s) using algebraic manipulation.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as analyzing projectile motion in sports like baseball and basketball, predicting the trajectory of a rocket, and calculating the motion of objects in video games and animations. It also plays a key role in understanding the motion of satellites and planets in space.