How does warming the hoop affect the frequency of an escapement in a clock?

• Thread starter bolzano95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary: I'm very interested in what happens to that ##D## if the radius of attachment point increases. Would it remain the same ?It would not remain the same.
bolzano95

Homework Statement

I have an escapement in a clock. It given shape is hoop with radius 5mm, mass 0.01g and has a frequency 5Hz. For how much does the frequency change if we warm the hoop for 20K?

[tex]α= 1.2 ⋅10^{-5} K^{-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
l=2πr\\Δl=lαΔT\\w=\sqrt{\frac{2D}{mr^2}}⇒D\\Δ\nu=\nu_1- \nu= \frac{(\sqrt{\frac{2D}{mR^2}}-\sqrt{\frac{2D}{mr^2}})}{2π}=-1.2⋅10^{-3} s^{-1}\\\frac{Δ\nu}{\nu}=-2.4⋅10^{-4} s^{-1}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, official result is
[tex]

\frac{Δ\nu}{\nu}=-1.2⋅10^{-4} s^{-1}
[/tex]

but I got a solution
[tex]

\frac{Δ\nu}{\nu}=-2.4⋅10^{-4} s^{-1}
[/tex]

I am not sure if official solution is correct, because I couldn't find an error in my result. I would like to ask you to check this problem over. Let me know if I missed something!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bolzano95 said:
I couldn't find an error in my result
Neither can we. You left out your detailed working.

And your description fits a balance wheel in a watch, better than an escapement

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude
I had problem with Latex processing. I added my solving process.

Don't see anything wrong with the calculation. Is there something else that depends on temperature ? D, for example ?

I suppose only hoop depends on temperature. Thanks for looking this over!

Is this hoop subject to a gravitational restoring force or is the hoop spring driven? It seems to me to be impossible to address this question properly without a figure.

Also, the notation seems foreign. What are w, v, and D? I might guess at their meanings, but I might be wrong too. I used to work in the watch industry, and I would like to address this problem for the OP, but I can't do that without a clearer definition of the system and the symbols used.

I think it is more correct to use the 2D expansion equation. It's like the hole in a plate that expands upon heating. The circumference of the hole gets larger according to the 2D expression. The expansion of the area of the ring will be given by ##\Delta A = 2\alpha A_0 \Delta T##. This means that the new area is ##A=A_0+\Delta A = A_0(1+2\alpha \Delta T)##.

My point is that the restoring torque ##D## could hide an ##r## dependency ... even if the spring (assuming it is a spring) itself doesn't change temperature (as it more or less explicitly says in the problem statement)
[edit] doesn't fly. from the pictures in the link it's obvious the spring is attached to thee hub of the balance wheel; surely the exercise composer doesn't mean to refer to that hub expanding as well ? or does he/she ?I also wonder about the 2 in front of the D: where does that come from ? (not that it matters for the outcome, both a ring and a disc have ##I\propto r^2##)

Last edited:
BvU said:
My point is that the restoring torque D could hide an ##r## dependency ...
I don't think ##D## is a torque. It's most likely the torsional spring constant, as in the SHO equation for torsional motion $$I\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=-D \theta.$$ For a ring the moment of inertia is ##I=mr^2## in which case the frequency is$$\omega =\sqrt{\frac{D}{I}}=\sqrt{\frac{D}{mr^2}}.$$
As for the origin of the factor of 2 in ##2D##, I have no clue unless the ring is treated as a solid disk for some reason.

kuruman said:
I don't think DD is a torque.

This is why I've said previously, we are wasting our time with no diagram, no variable definitions, etc. The OP owes us at least that little bit, and any further discussion is simply nonsense since we don't really know what the problem is.

kuruman said:
I think it is more correct to use the 2D expansion equation. It's like the hole in a plate that expands upon heating. The circumference of the hole gets larger according to the 2D expression. The expansion of the area of the ring will be given by ##\Delta A = 2\alpha A_0 \Delta T##. This means that the new area is ##A=A_0+\Delta A = A_0(1+2\alpha \Delta T)##.
Why is the area interesting? The mass is constant.
The D in the relevant equation has suitable dimension for torque or torque per unit angle, and that is divided by what looks like the moment of inertia of a uniform disk (mr2/2). That makes sense for a spring balance escapement. Consequently the frequency should be inversely proportional to r.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
I don't think ##D## is a torque. It's most likely the torsional spring constant
Of course, sorry for my sloppiness.
Usually the spring is attached to the hub of the balancing wheel. If the wheel expands with temperature, so does the hub, I suppose.

I'm very interested in what happens to that ##D## if the radius of attachment point increases. Would it remain the same ? I think it would not.

(admittedly far-fetched -- but the problem statement leaves plenty room for speculation :smile: sloppy exercise composer too ?)

haruspex said:
That makes sense for a spring balance escapement
Don't see that from the pictures. @bolzano95 ?

Hard to increase the temp of one part in an escapement/balancing wheel combo without affecting the other ! @bolzano95 ?

BvU said:
Don't see that from the pictures.
The only mismatch I see is that the balance wheel would not be a uniform disc, so the 2 in the given equation is wrong. But for the purposes of the question that is immaterial.

Related to How does warming the hoop affect the frequency of an escapement in a clock?

1. What is escapement in a clock?

Escapement in a clock is a mechanism that controls the release of energy from the clock's power source, such as a spring or weight. It is responsible for regulating the movement of the clock's hands and keeping accurate time.

2. How does escapement work in a clock?

Escapement works by converting the continuous energy from the clock's power source into small, regular increments that move the clock's gears and hands. This is achieved through a series of gears and levers that work together to release and control the flow of energy.

3. What are the different types of escapement mechanisms?

There are several types of escapement mechanisms, including the anchor escapement, the recoil escapement, and the deadbeat escapement. Each type has its own unique design and method of controlling the release of energy.

4. Why is escapement important in a clock?

Escapement is important in a clock because it allows for the precise measurement of time. Without an escapement, the energy from the power source would be released all at once, causing the clock to move too quickly and be inaccurate. The escapement helps to regulate and slow down the movement of the clock's gears and hands.

5. How has escapement technology evolved over time?

Escapement technology has evolved significantly over time, with new and more efficient designs being developed. Early clocks used simple verge escapements, while modern clocks often use more advanced designs such as the Swiss lever escapement or the co-axial escapement. These advancements have allowed for more accurate and reliable timekeeping in clocks.