How does this circuit work?

In summary: R3 in the schematic). Hi MATLABdude, Thanks for the response! I love the Dilbert clip. You are right, all of the diodes are LEDs.
neergmas
I have a schematic with a section that I don't understand. I have recreated in LTSpice and simulated it to get a better understanding of how it works. As I understand it, the circuit uses the input from a uController (labeled V3) to open/close a 12V output (P1-13). When I simulate this circuit, if V3 is even 0 volts, then P1-13 is 12V. If V3 is disconnected, then P1-13 goes low. Does this mean that the uController output must be tri-stated for the circuit to be 12V?

I have attached the LTspice file for anyone interested.

Sam

http://imagebin.ca/img/KujFJGaz.png

Attachments

• simulation.zip
    784 bytes · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
neergmas said:
I have a schematic with a section that I don't understand. I have recreated in LTSpice and simulated it to get a better understanding of how it works. As I understand it, the circuit uses the input from a uController (labeled V3) to open/close a 12V output (P1-13). When I simulate this circuit, if V3 is even 0 volts, then P1-13 is 12V. If V3 is disconnected, then P1-13 goes low. Does this mean that the uController output must be tri-stated for the circuit to be 12V?

I have attached the LTspice file for anyone interested.

Sam

http://imagebin.ca/img/KujFJGaz.png
[/URL]

The circuit seems clumsy at first look -- where did you find it? The input diode and resistor do not appear to be productive...

Some engineers have the knack, an ability to figure out what's going on, when, and how things work (or don't work, as the case may be):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmYDgncMhXw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmYDgncMhXw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For the rest of us, it's methodically working through the problem, breaking it down into its component pieces, and relying upon intuition/experience to simplify the amount of work that has to be done.

In electronics, it often comes down to: what possible inputs are there, and what outputs do these produce (think truth table). Thankfully, this circuit is pretty simple, so you can assume that you have 5V and 0V as inputs. Figure out what impact these have upon transistor Q1 (off or on--assume saturation when on), and then what impact this has upon transistor Q2 (off or on--assume saturation when on):

Code:
INPUT	Q1_State	Q2_Input	Q2_State	OUTPUT
0V
5V

HINT: Does a transistor (the connection from Emitter to Base) look more like a short circuit, or open circuit when it is turned off?

EDIT: Berkeman, I think D1 should more properly be an LED, indicating driving action. To neergmas, are you sure that R3 is not attached to the right of R1? Nevermind, I think that's actually okay just the way it is.

Hi MATLABdude,

Thanks for the awesome response! I love the Dilbert clip.

You are right, all of the diodes are LEDs.

2ufu3rl.jpg

I added a ground on the other side of R6 too. Now I am thinking of R6 as the load that is being powered.

Below is the truth table. The values are from running a simulation, but looking more into the operation of PNP and NPN transistors, at least the results make sense:

Code:
INPUT (V3)  Q1_State	Q2_Input	Q2_State	OUTPUT
0V             on            5V             on             0
5V             off            0V             off            3V

Does this seem correct?

Attachments

• simulation.zip
    781 bytes · Views: 215
neergmas said:
Hi MATLABdude,

Code:
INPUT (V3)  Q1_State	Q2_Input	Q2_State	OUTPUT
0V             on            5V             on             0
5V             off            0V             off            3V

Does this seem correct?

Yes, the transistor states are correct, and the voltages are probably at least in the right ballpark (note that if you tristated the microcontroller, you'd have basically the same result as an input of 5V). Not sure about the output of 3V, but the current would flow from the 12V supply through the two LEDs and R6. As you can see, you can sometimes save yourself from having to do a lot of work (plugging into Spice) just by sitting down and breaking down the circuit.

EDIT: You can model tristating by replacing the microcontroller output with a megaohm-ish resistor to ground

Related to How does this circuit work?

1. How does electricity flow through this circuit?

Electricity flows through a circuit when there is a continuous path of conductive material for it to travel through. The flow of electrons is initiated by a voltage source, such as a battery, and is regulated by components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

2. What is the purpose of each component in this circuit?

Each component in a circuit serves a specific purpose. For example, a resistor is used to regulate the flow of electricity, while a capacitor is used to store and release electrical energy. Understanding the function of each component is crucial in understanding how the circuit works.

3. How does the voltage and current change as it moves through the circuit?

As electricity moves through a circuit, the voltage and current can change depending on the type and arrangement of components in the circuit. In general, the voltage decreases as it moves through resistors, while the current remains constant throughout the circuit.

4. What happens if a component in the circuit fails?

If a component in the circuit fails, it can affect the flow of electricity and potentially cause the circuit to stop working. For example, if a resistor fails, it can cause a short circuit or an open circuit, disrupting the flow of electricity.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with this circuit?

To troubleshoot and fix issues with a circuit, it is important to have a basic understanding of how the circuit works and the function of each component. Some common troubleshooting techniques include checking for loose connections, testing the components with a multimeter, and replacing any faulty components.