How does the world look like after a Lorentz transformation?

In summary: IRF's... asks about the transformation of what an observer sees in different IRF's, then the answer is going to have to include a discussion about the transformation of coordinates between IRF's... which is not a topic that can be summarized in a simple way. So unfortunately, your answer is not an accurate summary of the conversation.
nick41
I would like to get a detailed description, how the world looks for a moving observer in Special Relativity compared to the way it looks for an observer at rest. Do you know any reference, where I can find such a description? Can you maybe even tell me, where to find two pictures of the sights of both observers?

Physics news on Phys.org
nick41 said:
I would like to get a detailed description, how the world looks for a moving observer in Special Relativity compared to the way it looks for an observer at rest. Do you know any reference, where I can find such a description? Can you maybe even tell me, where to find two pictures of the sights of both observers?
A Lorentz Transformation does not in any way affect what any observer sees.

nick41 said:

Oh Compared to, yes of course.
[/PLAIN]
Plenty of examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
nick41 said:

Go for a jog, and look at things around you. You've applied a lorentz transformation to yourself and you can see how it looks different. ;)

At faster speeds, things might look shorter in the direction of travel, because they are lorentz contracted. But note that only relative speeds matter, if you start running with a meter stick in your hand it won't look any shorter.

DimReg said:
Go for a jog, and look at things around you. You've applied a lorentz transformation to yourself and you can see how it looks different. ;)
Where is the Lorentz Transformation in this scenario? Remember, a Lorentz Transformation changes the coordinates of events which is information not available to any observer and doesn't in any way affect what an observer sees.
DimReg said:
At faster speeds, things might look shorter in the direction of travel, because they are lorentz contracted. But note that only relative speeds matter, if you start running with a meter stick in your hand it won't look any shorter.
You won't necessarily see things looking shorter just because there is a fast relative speed between you and the object. The images of objects get blue shifted as you/they approach each other and change to red shifted as you/they pass each other but the visual shapes of objects is a very complicated subject and has nothing to do with a Lorentz Transformation.

ghwellsjr said:
Where is the Lorentz Transformation in this scenario? Remember, a Lorentz Transformation changes the coordinates of events which is information not available to any observer and doesn't in any way affect what an observer sees.

You won't necessarily see things looking shorter just because there is a fast relative speed between you and the object. The images of objects get blue shifted as you/they approach each other and change to red shifted as you/they pass each other but the visual shapes of objects is a very complicated subject and has nothing to do with a Lorentz Transformation.

The lorentz transformation is a boost... You start out not running, then later you are. I thought that was clear. And yes it does affect what an observer sees: before the boost some things will be at rest, and after they will be moving. While the coordinate aspect of lorentz transformations is not measurable, non lorentz invariant quantities (such as energy) do change under lorentz transformations, so you can't claim that lorentz tranformations don't affect what an observer sees.

Ok, I did say that you "might" see things get shorter. Judging by the question of the OP, I don't think he's completely comfortable with special relativity, so I don't see the point in making my answer as complicated as possible. I tried to give a simple version of what goes on, and not bother the OP with issues like red shift and blue shift, so he can focus on what he want to know.

My point about going for a jog wasn't that you'd notice lorentz contraction, but that there is nothing unusual about lorentz transformations, and they don't change the way the world looks in an exotic way.

DimReg said:
The lorentz transformation is a boost... You start out not running, then later you are. I thought that was clear. And yes it does affect what an observer sees: before the boost some things will be at rest, and after they will be moving.
Before and after the boost, different things are at rest and different things are moving according to the IRF but relative speeds between objects remain the same in all IRF's. Therefore, what an observer sees is not affected by transforming to a different IRF.
DimReg said:
While the coordinate aspect of lorentz transformations is not measurable, non lorentz invariant quantities (such as energy) do change under lorentz transformations, so you can't claim that lorentz tranformations don't affect what an observer sees.
No Lorentz variant quantity is in any way visible to any observer. And any measurement or derived calculation that any observer determines for these Lorentz variant quantities come out the same for him when you transform to a different IRF.
DimReg said:
Ok, I did say that you "might" see things get shorter. Judging by the question of the OP, I don't think he's completely comfortable with special relativity, so I don't see the point in making my answer as complicated as possible. I tried to give a simple version of what goes on, and not bother the OP with issues like red shift and blue shift, so he can focus on what he want to know.
Unfortunately, when an OP who is uncomfortable with Special Relativity asks a confusing or disjointed question, it is impossible to determine what he wants to know. But that is not an excuse to give him wrong information. It's wrong to tell him that a Lorentz Transformation changes what he sees, measures or determines.
DimReg said:
My point about going for a jog wasn't that you'd notice lorentz contraction, but that there is nothing unusual about lorentz transformations, and they don't change the way the world looks in an exotic way.
They don't change the way the world looks to any observer in any way. That's the whole point of Special Relativity, all IRF's are equally valid, none is preferred.

Last edited:
Also, SR doesn't account for an eyeball & memory, or it being a continuum.

I don't know SR well enough to envision all comparative situations.

But, Doppler is easy enough to visualize.

And there is even that MIT game A Slower Speed of Light.

(assuming this thread is about the visual relativistic effects as seen in the game)

Last edited:

Related to How does the world look like after a Lorentz transformation?

1. How does time dilation affect the appearance of the world after a Lorentz transformation?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. In the context of a Lorentz transformation, this means that an observer who is moving at a high velocity relative to an object will perceive time to be passing slower for that object. This can result in a distortion of the appearance of the world, as events that would normally appear to happen simultaneously may appear to occur at different times for the observer.

2. Does the length of objects change after a Lorentz transformation?

Yes, the length of objects can change after a Lorentz transformation. This is due to the phenomenon of length contraction, where objects that are moving at high speeds appear shorter in the direction of their motion. This can also contribute to a distorted appearance of the world, as objects may appear to be shorter or longer depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. How does the world look like for an observer moving at the speed of light after a Lorentz transformation?

According to the principles of special relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. Therefore, it is not possible to determine how the world would appear for an observer moving at the speed of light after a Lorentz transformation. However, it is believed that time and space would become completely distorted and the observer would experience infinite time dilation and length contraction.

4. What is the role of the Lorentz transformation in understanding the theory of relativity?

The Lorentz transformation is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It describes how measurements of time and space are affected by an observer's frame of reference and the relative velocity between two objects. It is essential in understanding the principles of special relativity, which have revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and the universe.

5. Can the Lorentz transformation be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the principles of special relativity and the Lorentz transformation can be applied to everyday situations. For example, the GPS system in our smartphones and cars uses the theory of relativity to make precise calculations and determine our location. Additionally, particle accelerators and nuclear reactors also rely on the principles of special relativity to function accurately. However, for everyday situations, the effects of relativity are so small that they are not noticeable to us.