How does the siphon method work and why does the pipe width matter?

• Thread starter shalikadm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernouli
In summary: If you reduce the size of the pipe, it can still function as a siphon as long as the height of the water is the same.
shalikadm
1. I found this diagram on book but there weren't any description.can someone tell me, what its trying to tell specially by those two red lines meeting the ground at the same place...?
2013_05_23_15_32_52.jpg

2.this is a diagram for siphon method of removing water. I have read somewhere that the siphon stops if the pressure at point c is equal to the vapour pressure of water. what is the reason for that.?
Pc = Po - hρg
2013_05_23_17_02_26.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Handwritten in a book, with no descriptions? Uh huh...

The first question would be asking which pair of colored arcs accurately represent the path of water pouring out of that structure.

For the question on siphons, if the pressure at C equals or is lower than the vapor pressure of water, it boils and no longer can flow up the siphon.

Well, I guess it is just trying to tell you about the water flow. There doesn't seem to be anything aphysical about the diagram at least at first glance and without making any measurements or calculations. The two red lines indicate that the water flow from points symmetrically placed about the center will hit the ground at the same location.

physwizard said:
The two red lines indicate that the water flow from points symmetrically placed about the center will hit the ground at the same location.
Yes...so what's the physics behind that ? water drains from symetrically placed holes from the center will catch the ground at the same place...?

russ_watters said:
The first question would be asking which pair of colored arcs accurately represent the path of water pouring out of the structure
all arcs are paths of water pouring.red color shows some special feature..
russ_watters said:
it boils and no longer can flow up the siphon.
further...siphon needs a continuous flow of water.water bubbles disturb the continuous flow...am i correct?

Last edited:
Apologies if this thread is not exactly germane to my issue but... I have been unable to find information and comment re. the following: If I were to establish a large diameter siphon and have the outflow diameter reduced substantially by attaching a much smaller (but contiguous) tube, would I then be able to have an uphill endpoint for my water flow because the total water mass (and therefore the force exerted) in the "downhill" tube would far exceed that in the smaller "uphill" tube?

For this purpose it is height alone that matters, not pipe width. You get the same amount of suction with a 1/8 inch reed on the outlet side as you do with a 36 inch pipe.

There is a concern that if the pipe is too wide, bubbles can rise up the outflow faster than water carries them down. If this occurs, the water can drain out of the outflow until the siphon no longer works at all.

Related to How does the siphon method work and why does the pipe width matter?

1. What is a Siphon?

A siphon is a tube or pipe that allows liquid to flow from a higher level to a lower level without the need for external pumping or suction. It works by manipulating the forces of gravity and atmospheric pressure.

2. How does a Siphon work?

A siphon works by creating a pressure difference between the two ends of the tube. This pressure difference is created by the weight of the liquid in the siphon tube being greater on the longer side, causing the liquid to flow from the higher end to the lower end.

3. What is Bernoulli's Theorem?

Bernoulli's Theorem is a principle in fluid dynamics that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This means that when a fluid is moving faster, it will have less pressure compared to when it is moving slower.

4. How is Bernoulli's Theorem related to a Siphon?

Bernoulli's Theorem is related to a siphon because it explains the pressure difference that allows the siphon to function. As the liquid flows through the siphon, its speed increases, causing the pressure to decrease and allowing the liquid to be pulled from the higher level to the lower level.

5. Can a Siphon work in any direction?

No, a siphon can only work in one direction - from a higher level to a lower level. This is because the pressure difference that allows the siphon to function is created by the weight of the liquid on the longer side of the tube. If the tube is flipped, the pressure difference would not be present and the siphon would not work.