How does the limit comparison test for integrability go?

In summary, the participants are discussing the limit comparison test for integrability and trying to clarify its conditions and formulation. They also mention a better written version of the test and consider an adapted version using |f(x)| instead of f(x) ≥ 0.
JulienB
Hi everybody! I have another question about integrability, especially about the limit comparison test. The script my teacher wrote states:

(roughly translated from German)
Limit test: Let -∞ < a < b ≤ ∞ and the functions f: [a,b) → [0,∞) and f: [a,b) → (0,∞) be proper integrable for any c ∈ [a,b). Let lim x↑b f(x)/g(x) =: h exist. Then:
(i) If h > 0, then is f improper integrable on [a,b) if and only if g is improper integrable on [a,b).
(ii) If h = 0, then is f improper integrable on [a,b) if g is improper integrable on [a,b).

So...that statement only makes little sense to me, and I believe there must be at least one mistake there: what's up with that "c"?? I'd like to reformulate that test in two parts (integrability and non integrability) and so in a more logical way for myself. Let me know if that holds (apart from wherever the mistake is with "c"):

1. Let f: [a,b) → [0,∞) and f: [a,b) → (0,∞) are proper (Riemann?) integrable for any c ∈ [a,b), g is improper integrable on [a,b) and lim x↑b f(x)/g(x) 0, then f is improper integrable on [a,b).

2. Let f: [a,b) → [0,∞) and f: [a,b) → (0,∞) are proper (Riemann?) integrable for any c ∈ [a,b), g is not improper integrable on [a,b) and lim x↑b f(x)/g(x) > 0, then f is not improper integrable on [a,b).

This all looks very absurd to me! :/ I also can't seem to find anything about such a test on the internet, that's weird! Does it even exist in the first place?Thank you very much in advance for your answers.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:
I think I found it here, written in a much better way: http://home.iitk.ac.in/~psraj/mth101/lecture_notes/lecture18.pdf (theorem 17.3). May I write the same with |f(x)| instead of f(x) ≥ 0?

Thank you in advance for your help.Julien.
Not exactly clear how you want to formulate the adapted version of theorem 17.3.
If the condition is supposed to become ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty}\frac{|f(x)|}{g(x)}= c \neq 0##, then no. You can easily construct a function f such that the improper integral of ##f## converges, while the improper integral of ##|f|## (and hence of ##g## by theorem 17.3) diverges.

Related to How does the limit comparison test for integrability go?

1. What is the limit comparison test for integrability?

The limit comparison test for integrability is a method used to determine if an improper integral converges or diverges by comparing it to a known integral whose convergence or divergence is already known. It is commonly used when the integrand is difficult to integrate directly.

2. How does the limit comparison test for integrability work?

The limit comparison test for integrability involves taking the limit of the ratio of the two integrals being compared as the upper and lower limits of integration approach infinity. If the limit is a finite, non-zero number, then both integrals have the same convergence behavior. If the limit is zero, then the integral being tested converges. If the limit is infinity, then the integral being tested diverges.

3. What is the formula for the limit comparison test for integrability?

The formula for the limit comparison test for integrability is:

limx→∞(f(x)/g(x)) = L

Where f(x) and g(x) are the two integrals being compared and L is the resulting limit.

4. When should the limit comparison test for integrability be used?

The limit comparison test for integrability should be used when the integrand is difficult to integrate directly or when other convergence tests are inconclusive. It is also useful when the integrand contains a mix of polynomials and trigonometric functions.

5. What are the advantages of using the limit comparison test for integrability?

The limit comparison test for integrability is a powerful tool for determining the convergence or divergence of improper integrals. It can be used in cases where other tests may fail, and it allows for comparison to known integrals for a clearer understanding of the behavior of the integral being tested. Additionally, it is a relatively straightforward test to apply once the necessary limits have been calculated.