How Does the Indicator Function Prove 1A U (B∩C) = 1A.(1B + 1C - 1B.1C)?

• Thread starter vandanak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof given in a book by Corbae, Stinchcombe, and Zemam. The proof involves the equation 1AU(B∩C)=1A.(1 B +1C -1B .1C ), which seems to be a misprint as it should be 1_{A\cap(B\cup C)}=1_A\cdot(1_B+1_C-1_B\cdot1_C). This follows from two equations - 1_{X\cap Y}=1_X\cdot 1_Y and 1_{X\cup Y}=1_X+1_Y-1_X\cdot1_Y. The conversation ends with the conclusion that
vandanak
Hi Everyone,
So here is a prove given in book by Corbae S tinchcombe Zemam so can someone clear this line of prove to me that
1AU(B∩C)=1A.(1 B +1C -1B .1C )

I don't get it please help
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
vandanak said:
Hi Everyone,
So here is a prove given in book by Corbae S tinchcombe Zemam so can someone clear this line of prove to me that
1AU(B∩C)=1A.(1 B +1C -1B .1C )

I don't get it please help
thanks in advance

Seems to me that it should be $$1_{A\cap(B\cup C)}=1_A\cdot(1_B+1_C-1_B\cdot1_C)$$ which follows from $$1_{X\cap Y}=1_X\cdot 1_Y$$ and $$1_{X\cup Y}=1_X+1_Y-1_X\cdot1_Y$$

that means it must be misprint or something like that because union is between A and (B intersection C) and you have taken union in B and C where there was a intersection given

Related to How Does the Indicator Function Prove 1A U (B∩C) = 1A.(1B + 1C - 1B.1C)?

What is an indicator function?

An indicator function is a mathematical function that takes on the value of 1 or 0 depending on whether a given statement or condition is true or false. It is often used to represent the presence or absence of a certain characteristic or property in a set of objects or data.

Why is the indicator function useful?

The indicator function is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as probability, statistics, and set theory. It allows us to simplify complex problems and make calculations easier by representing them in a binary form.

How is the indicator function written or represented?

The indicator function is typically denoted by the symbol I and is written as I(A), where A is the statement or condition being evaluated. It can also be represented as a characteristic function, a step function, or as a graph.

What is the process for proving an indicator function?

The process for proving an indicator function involves breaking down the statement or condition into smaller, simpler parts and then using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that the function returns the correct value of 1 or 0 for each possible input. It is important to clearly define the conditions and assumptions in the proof.

Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when proving an indicator function?

One common mistake when proving an indicator function is assuming that the statement or condition is true without proper justification. It is also important to carefully consider all possible inputs and to avoid circular reasoning. Additionally, keeping track of the notation and using clear and concise language can help prevent errors in the proof.