How Does the Biot-Savart Law Apply to Angles in an Infinite Wire Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Biot-Savart Law for a finite wire and the confusion surrounding the angles of measurement. The textbook suggests that as x approaches negative infinity, theta 1 is pi/2 and as x approaches positive infinity, theta 2 is -pi/2. However, this seems to be reversed from the conventional convention of taking anti-clockwise direction as positive. The main issue is the direction of B, which should be out of the page for the equation to work. The reference point for measuring angles can be either the right or left of point P, as long as B is directed out of the page. It is also noted that in the Law of Biot-Savart, the angle
cosmogrl
In using the Biot-Savart Law for an finite wire, I am having trouble understanding the angles. I have sintheta1-sintheta2, where theta1 is measured from point P to the horizontal wire and from the vertical axis, to the left of point P. Theta 2 is measured to the right of point P.

I am ok until there. However, in going from that result to that for an infinite wire, my textbook (Serway and Jewett, Physics for scientists and engineers) says that as x goes to - infinity, theta 1 is (pi/2) and as x goes to positive infinity, theta 2 is (-pi/2). I seem to have those backwards, as theta1 being -pi/2 and theta2 being +pi/2. However, when I do it my way, I get an extra negative sign which should not be there. I am hoping someone can explain to my why theta is pi/2 to the left of point P and -pi/2 to the right of point P.

Physics news on Phys.org
cosmogrl said:
In using the Biot-Savart Law for an finite wire, I am having trouble understanding the angles. I have sintheta1-sintheta2, where theta1 is measured from point P to the horizontal wire and from the vertical axis, to the left of point P. Theta 2 is measured to the right of point P.

I am ok until there. However, in going from that result to that for an infinite wire, my textbook (Serway and Jewett, Physics for scientists and engineers) says that as x goes to - infinity, theta 1 is (pi/2) and as x goes to positive infinity, theta 2 is (-pi/2). I seem to have those backwards, as theta1 being -pi/2 and theta2 being +pi/2. However, when I do it my way, I get an extra negative sign which should not be there. I am hoping someone can explain to my why theta is pi/2 to the left of point P and -pi/2 to the right of point P.

Here is the Picture of your Book.

if you want to check you are also Correct if you take θ1, Start from the derivation at the Very beginning taking θ negative. You will get same Result.

Attachments

• Biot.png
    Biot.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 571
I have a confusion. The way the diagram shows as in Diptangshu's answer theta increases in clockwise direction but conventionally anti clockwise direction is taken as positive. Can we change the convention as per our situation?

Kajal Sengupta said:
I have a confusion. The way the diagram shows as in Diptangshu's answer theta increases in clockwise direction but conventionally anti clockwise direction is taken as positive. Can we change the convention as per our situation?

Here the main Issue is Direction of B. And B is Out of the Page as per r x ds direction...which is considered positive.

So you can use any measurement of θ as long as B is directed out of the page. Here the Reference is Vertical axis... You can take Right or Left as positive... And derive to get Same B.

So, when using the equation as provided, is theta 1 always measured clockwise, but theta 2 is measured counterclockwise?

cosmogrl said:
So, when using the equation as provided, is theta 1 always measured clockwise, but theta 2 is measured counterclockwise?

Well if you take angle between r and ds, the limits will be π/2 to 0 and the Whole answer is multiplied by 2.
Which is the actual approach with no confusion... Because in Law of Biot Savart... dB = [μ0i/4π] [i ds sinθ / r2]... The angle θ is angle between the Vectors r and ds.

So doesn't matter what is your direction... If you start from a direction and Approach any problem properly, you Get same results.

Better to take θ angle between r, ds to avoid Confusion.
The book has taken that for Symmetry.

Related to How Does the Biot-Savart Law Apply to Angles in an Infinite Wire Calculation?

1. What is the Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire?

The Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a long, straight wire with a constant current running through it. It states that the magnetic field strength at a certain point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

2. How do I calculate the magnetic field using the Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire?

To calculate the magnetic field at a point using the Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire, you need to know the current running through the wire, the distance from the wire to the point, and the length of the wire. You can then use the equation B = (μ0 * I) / (2π * r) to calculate the magnetic field strength, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by an infinite wire according to the Biot-Savart law?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by an infinite wire, as described by the Biot-Savart law, is perpendicular to the wire at all points. This means that if you were to draw a line from the wire to the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field, the direction of the magnetic field would be perpendicular to that line.

4. Can the Biot-Savart law be applied to a finite wire?

Yes, the Biot-Savart law can be applied to a finite wire as well. However, the equation used for a finite wire is slightly different and takes into account the shape and length of the wire. It is also important to note that the Biot-Savart law is only valid for thin wires with negligible thickness.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire?

The Biot-Savart law for an infinite wire has many practical applications in areas such as electromagnetism, electrical engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by power lines, solenoids, and other long straight conductors. It is also a fundamental law in understanding the behavior of moving charges and the principles of electromagnetic induction.