How Does Tensor Notation Work in Group Theory Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a step in group theory involving tensor indices notation and the use of an orthogonal matrix. The person is struggling to reproduce the step but eventually finds success by renaming an index letter. The expert summarizer explains that indices are dummy tokens and can be renamed as long as it is done consistently.
christodouloum
1. While reading notes on group theory there is a step I could not reproduce although it seems to me it should be straightforward. Probably there is something I am missing on tensor indices notation. Since R is an orthogonal matrix you can...

2 ...go from [tex]\epsilon _{lmn}R_{il}R_{jm}R_{kn}=\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]

to [tex]\epsilon_{lmn}R_{jm}R_{kn}=\epsilon_{ijk}R_{il}[/tex]

3. Since R is orthogonal I wrote down [tex]R_{il}R_{ir}=\delta _{lr}[/tex]. So I multiply both sides by R_il and by relabelling r with l it works. But can I do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Indices are dummy tokens; they could be pink hearts, orange stars, yellow moons, et cetera. You can always rename one index letter to another as long as you do so consistently throughout the entire expression or equation.

Related to How Does Tensor Notation Work in Group Theory Calculations?

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent and manipulate tensors, which are objects that describe the linear relationships between different sets of variables. It is commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. Why is tensor notation important?

Tensor notation is important because it allows for the concise and precise representation of complex mathematical concepts. It is also a universal notation, meaning it can be used in various areas of science and engineering, making communication and collaboration among researchers easier.

3. How is tensor notation used in physics?

In physics, tensor notation is commonly used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, force, and stress. It is also used in the formulation of physical laws and equations, making it an essential tool for understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using tensor notation?

Some common mistakes made when using tensor notation include confusing the indices of tensors, using incorrect notation for operations such as contraction and multiplication, and not properly taking into account the symmetry and anti-symmetry of tensors. It is important to have a good understanding of tensor properties and notation rules to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of tensor notation?

To improve your understanding of tensor notation, it is recommended to study the properties and rules of tensors, practice using notation in various contexts, and seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and lectures. It is also helpful to work through problems and exercises to gain hands-on experience with using tensor notation.