How does one dimensional light warp multiple dimensions?

Have a great day!In summary, the conversation touched upon the concept of light having gravity despite being one-dimensional and how it warps multiple dimensions. There were differing opinions on whether light itself exerts gravity or if it's the presence of mass that causes spacetime to warp. Further discussion also explored the dimensionality of light and how it behaves as both a wave and a particle. It was mentioned that EM fields do have an effect on spacetime, and there are solutions in GR that represent the curvature caused by EM radiation.
Mazeikas
If light is one dimensional, yet has gravity, and gravity is the warpage of spacetime, and spacetime has four dimensions, then how does a one dimensional wave/particle warp multiple dimensions?

Science news on Phys.org
Hello Mazelkas, :welcome:

Being philosophical eh ? Interesting questions. Any references where you got this ?

Mazeikas said:
yet has gravity
It does not.
Mazeikas said:
gravity is the warpage of spacetime
It is not. The presence of mass warps spacetime. Light just follows the shortest path.

Mazeikas said:
If light is one dimensional

Light is not one dimensional. Electromagnetic waves, in both the quantum and classical theories, are three-dimensional disturbances in the EM field.

Mazeikas said:
yet has gravity

BvU said:
It does not.

My understanding was that light does indeed alter spacetime because of its energy, and thus does "have gravity".

Mazeikas said:
and gravity is the warpage of spacetime

BvU said:
It is not. The presence of mass warps spacetime. Light just follows the shortest path.

What do you mean, BvU? Isn't gravity exactly what Mazeikas said it was? The warpage of spacetime?

Thank you for the welcome. Are you certain light does not exert its own gravity? I am not saying you are incorrect, I just do not know. I thought I read that electromagnetic waves gave off gravity. Also, perhaps I am misunderstanding gravity. Is it not the warpage of spacetime?

Hello Drakkith! It is interesting we have received different perspectives regarding this, I thought a photon was one dimensional, I am not certain I am correct, but I think a lot of people believe this.

At what stage are you in your curriculum ? I'm worried you are even further out on a limb than I was with my experimentalist's reply. (To me, your wording suggested that).

BvU, I am actually just self taught right now, as far anything I may have correct, I am not sure. I am just full of curiosity and thought I would ask! :)

Mazeikas said:
Hello Drakkith! It is interesting we have received different perspectives regarding this, I thought a photon was one dimensional, I am not certain I am correct, but I think a lot of people believe this.

All fundamental particles are regarded as being "point-like", which naively is taken to mean that they are zero-dimensional. But a closer look into quantum mechanics muddies up the issue greatly. The particles are point-like in the sense that if you measure the location of a particle, it will always appear in one spot, no matter how small you constrain your area you're measuring. You will never measure half the particle in one spot and half in another, as you might do when you measure the location of a basketball. We can definitely say that a basketball is 3-dimensional because different parts of it are found in different locations in space. The same cannot be said of a fundamental particle.

However, we would then need to get into the issue of what the wavefunction is, what it means in regards to the dimensionality of a particle. There is no widely accepted answer to these questions as far as I know.

Drakkith, great thoughtful response, I appreciate that. You are informing me, and I think you raise a valid point. Could light exist in more than one dimension as a wave and in one dimension as a particle? With the direction of movement being one dimension, and the oscillation of the wave as another, is it reasonable to hypothesize that a wave exists in at least two dimensions? Just my two cents. :)

Mazeikas said:
Could light exist in more than one dimension as a wave and in one dimension as a particle? With the direction of movement being one dimension, and the oscillation of the wave as another, is it reasonable to hypothesize that a wave exists in at least two dimensions?

An EM wave moves outwards from the source and is already moving in a 3D motion (meaning its motion can be described using the standard 3D Cartesian coordinate system). The oscillation of the wave is not a physical oscillation. Nothing is moving. Instead, the electric and magnetic field vectors (the things that describe the direction of the force applied to a particle by the wave) oscillate in direction and magnitude.

A photon is basically the quantized interaction of the EM wave with matter. Photons are not like little bullets streaming out from a source, nor are they individual oscillating objects. They are discrete transfers of energy and momentum from the wave to matter.

I'd elaborate a bit more, but it's nearly 4 AM here and I've been up for about 20 hours and am about to go to bed.

Well perhaps you should get some sleep. :) Thank you for your input, you have given me something to think about. Take care!

This discussion is a little bit difficult because it mixes photons from QED and GR, which is known to be problematic. I cannot answer that question, but I can talk about classical waves of light and GR.

The source of gravity in GR is the stress energy tensor, and since light has energy and momentum and so forth it has a valid non-zero stress energy tensor. Meaning that EM fields do curve spacetime.

There are a set of solutions in GR called the pp-wave spacetimes which represent the curvature due to EM radiation.

Dale, thank you for your insight. :) Once again, I am learning more, and I am grateful for that. I have more to look into.

Likes Dale

Related to How does one dimensional light warp multiple dimensions?

1. How does one dimensional light warp multiple dimensions?

One dimensional light does not have the ability to warp multiple dimensions. Light only travels in one dimension, which is the dimension of length. However, light can interact with objects and cause them to appear warped or distorted in our perception due to the bending of light rays.

2. Can one dimensional light exist in multiple dimensions?

No, one dimensional light can only exist and travel in one dimension. It is a fundamental property of light that it can only travel in a straight line, making it impossible for it to exist in multiple dimensions.

3. How does one dimensional light interact with objects in higher dimensions?

One dimensional light can interact with objects in higher dimensions through the process of reflection, refraction, and diffraction. When light hits an object, it can bend, bounce off, or pass through the object, causing it to appear distorted in our perception.

4. Can one dimensional light be affected by gravity in higher dimensions?

Yes, one dimensional light can be affected by gravity in higher dimensions. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the warping of space-time caused by massive objects. This warping can affect the path of light, causing it to bend and appear distorted in our perception.

5. How does the warping of multiple dimensions affect the path of one dimensional light?

The warping of multiple dimensions can affect the path of one dimensional light through the bending of space-time. This can cause the light to follow a curved path and appear distorted in our perception. The amount of warping depends on the mass and density of the objects in the higher dimensions.