How does one descibe a co-orbiting system?

• Thread starter Lino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of co-orbiting systems and the criteria for defining them. Co-orbiting is typically used to describe two bodies that share the same orbit, such as Jupiter and its trojan satellites. The question arises of what to call a system where multiple objects orbit a common center of gravity, such as the solar system with the sun and planets orbiting the barycenter. The conversation also mentions the example of an exoplanet causing a wobble in its star's orbit and discusses the use of redshift in determining the orbit.
Lino
Hi, Is there a generally accepted description of the objects that make up a co-orbiting system? For example, I understand that two starts orbiting around a common centre of gravity would be considered co-orbiting, but given that the sun and planets ordit the "wobble" point / common centre of gravity, would the solar system also be considered co-orbiting? Would the Milkyway (the black hole at the centre and the stars that ordit it (both close in, speeding around the black hole, and further out like the sun) be considered a co-orbiting system?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
I think co-orbiting means the two bodies actually shares the same orbit. For example Jupiter and the trojan satellites.

Oh. Thanks Jobiqoud. I understand.

So, I suppose that my first question is actually "what do you call that type of system, where two or more objects orbit a common center of gravity?" Incase my description isn't to clear, I'm trying to describe the orbit of an exo-solar planet causing the wobble of its star (I appreciate that actual searches are based on redshift of light, I'm just using the star / exoplanet as an example of a system that I am trying to describe).

Regards,

Noel.

Related to How does one descibe a co-orbiting system?

1. How do you define a co-orbiting system?

A co-orbiting system is a system where two or more objects, such as planets or satellites, orbit around a common center of mass. In a co-orbiting system, the objects have similar orbits and are influenced by each other's gravitational pull.

2. What are the key characteristics of a co-orbiting system?

The key characteristics of a co-orbiting system include the shared center of mass, similar orbital paths, and the gravitational interaction between the objects. These characteristics can also lead to resonances and stable orbits within the system.

3. How does a co-orbiting system differ from a binary system?

A co-orbiting system differs from a binary system in that the objects in a binary system generally have significantly different masses, while the objects in a co-orbiting system have similar masses. Additionally, in a binary system, the objects have elliptical orbits around each other, while in a co-orbiting system, the objects have circular or nearly circular orbits around the shared center of mass.

4. What are some examples of co-orbiting systems?

An example of a co-orbiting system is the Earth-Moon system, where the Moon orbits around the Earth while both objects also orbit around the Sun. Another example is the Pluto-Charon system, where the two objects orbit around each other while also orbiting around the Sun.

5. How do scientists study and understand co-orbiting systems?

Scientists study and understand co-orbiting systems by observing their motions and using mathematical models to predict and explain their behavior. They also use data from spacecraft and telescopes to gather information about the objects in the system, such as their masses and orbital characteristics.