How Does Negation Work in Quantified Statements Involving Pigeons and Holes?

• Thread starter Mathematicsresear
  • Start date
In summary, the negation of "At least one hole contains at least n+1 pigeons" is that all holes contain less than or equal to n pigeons. This is represented by either the statement "There are less than n+1 pigeons per hole" or "There exists no hole with more than n pigeons." The use of the existential quantifier in the first part of the sentence indicates that there is at least one hole that meets the given condition, while its absence in the second part indicates that all holes may not meet the condition.
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

Why is the negation of: Atleast one hole contains atleast n+1 pigeons where n is a natural number

There are less than n+1 pigeons per hole?

Wouldn't it be: There are less than one hole that contains less than n+1 pigeons?

Wouldn't the negation of there exists a hole that contains atleast n+1 pigeons yield

all holes contain less than n+1 pigeons?

Why is the existential quantifier assumed for the phrase: "Atleast one hole" in the first part of the sentence but not for the "atleast n+1 pigeons"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsresear said:
Why is the negation of: At least one hole contains at least n+1 pigeons where n is a natural number
Let's make it formal and set ##N(L)## the number of pigeons in the hole ##L##.
Then the statement says: ##\exists L\, : \,|N(L)|\geq n+1##
which has the negation: ##\forall L \, : \,|N(L)| < n+1##
or in words
There are less than n+1 pigeons per hole?

fresh_42 said:
Let's make it formal and set ##N(L)## the number of pigeons in the hole ##L##.
Then the statement says: ##\exists L\, : \,|N(L)|\geq n+1##
which has the negation: ##\forall L \, : \,|N(L)| < n+1##
or in words
What about my other comments? because that's exactly what I'm confused about, why is atleast turned into an existential quantifier in the beginning of the sentence but not in the other part of the sentence?

Mathematicsresear said:
What about my other comments? because that's exactly what I'm confused about, why is at least turned into an existential quantifier in the beginning of the sentence but not in the other part of the sentence?
"At least one hole contains at least n+1 pigeons."

• at least one hole = subject = exists, for otherwise we wouldn't talk about it; it specifies the subject we are talking about and which is not the empty set, i.e. it is necessary to exist = ##\exists\, L##
  • contains = predicate = announces a property, i.e. something can be said about the hole = ##":"##
  • at least n+1 pigeons = object = the something which can be said about the hole are the number of pigeons in it, i.e. the hole has n+1 pigeons = ##N(L)>n##

Thus we have ##\exists L\, \, : \, N(L) > n##

We can also say: ##\{\,L\,|\,N(L)>n\,\}\neq \emptyset## and then the negation is, that this set is empty. If the set is empty, then it's complement is the entire space, which are all holes in this case. So ##\{\,L\,|\,N(L)>n\,\}= \emptyset \Longrightarrow \{\,L\,|\,N(L)\leq n\,\} = \{\,L\,\}##

We can also say: ##\exists L\, : \,L \wedge N(L)>n## with the negation ##\forall L\, : \,\lnot L \vee N(L)\leq n##, which means, either it isn't a hole, or in case it is, there are at most ##n## pigeons in it.

Related to How Does Negation Work in Quantified Statements Involving Pigeons and Holes?

1. What is the definition of negation?

Negation is the process of denying or contradicting a statement, idea, or belief. It can also refer to the logical operation of reversing the truth value of a statement.

2. How is negation represented in logic?

In logic, negation is typically represented by the symbol "~" or "¬". For example, if the statement "It is raining" is represented as p, then the negation of this statement would be represented as ~p or ¬p, which means "It is not raining".

3. What is the relationship between a statement and its negation?

The negation of a statement is the opposite of the original statement. If the original statement is true, then its negation is false, and vice versa. For example, if the statement "I am hungry" is true, then its negation "I am not hungry" is false.

4. Can a statement and its negation both be true?

No, a statement and its negation cannot both be true. They are mutually exclusive, meaning that if one is true, the other must be false.

5. How is the negation of a statement useful in scientific research?

The negation of a statement can be useful in scientific research as it allows for testing and disproving hypotheses. By negating a statement, scientists can identify potential flaws or alternative explanations, which can lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of a phenomenon.