How Does Fermat's Little Theorem Apply to n^{39} \equiv n^3 (mod 13)?

In summary, the person had difficulty with a physics question and searched online for help. They received assistance and were able to successfully pass the exam. They express gratitude and end the conversation.
AryaSravaka
Dear sir/madam
I have tried to do this question but can not figure it out. I gave up, but google gave me physicsforums site. I am very greatful and thanks for being genorous.

Thanks.
question is attached

Attachments

• flt.png
    flt.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try already?? If you tell us where you're stuck, then we'll know how to help...

micromass said:
What did you try already?? If you tell us where you're stuck, then we'll know how to help...

Sir, I really can not see any connection between this problem and FLT ..Pls give me some insight how to start out .. got 1day left :)
thanks

We know [itex] n^{13} \equiv n \ ( mod \ 13)[/itex], right? That's the theorem.

But we also know that if [itex] a' \equiv a \ ( mod \ m )[/itex] and [itex] b' \equiv b \ ( mod \ m )[/itex], then [itex] a'b' \equiv ab \ ( mod \ m )[/itex]. This implies

[tex] n^{39} \equiv n^3 \ (mod \ 13).[/tex]

But then what's another way to express this congruence? To say that [itex]n^{39}[/itex] is congruent to [itex]n^3[/itex] means 13 divides what?

stringy said:
We know [itex] n^{13} \equiv n \ ( mod \ 13)[/itex], right? That's the theorem.

But we also know that if [itex] a' \equiv a \ ( mod \ m )[/itex] and [itex] b' \equiv b \ ( mod \ m )[/itex], then [itex] a'b' \equiv ab \ ( mod \ m )[/itex]. This implies

[tex] n^{39} \equiv n^3 \ (mod \ 13).[/tex]

But then what's another way to express this congruence? To say that [itex]n^{39}[/itex] is congruent to [itex]n^3[/itex] means 13 divides what?

Dear Sir, Thanks very much for your time. Anyway FLT was not in the exam.. I had to do 4 questions but i did 6 questions... Well I passed it..Yehiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I am truly greatful
with metta

Related to How Does Fermat's Little Theorem Apply to n^{39} \equiv n^3 (mod 13)?

1. What is Fermat's Little Theorem?

Fermat's Little Theorem is a mathematical theorem named after French mathematician Pierre de Fermat. It states that if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, the number a^p - a is an integer multiple of p.

2. How is Fermat's Little Theorem used in cryptography?

Fermat's Little Theorem is used in cryptography to create public key systems. In particular, it is used in the creation of the RSA algorithm, which is a widely used method for secure communication over the internet.

3. Can Fermat's Little Theorem be used to determine if a number is prime?

No, Fermat's Little Theorem cannot be used to definitively determine if a number is prime. However, it can be used as a primality test, meaning that if the theorem holds true for a specific number, it is very likely to be prime. However, there are rare cases where the theorem holds true for non-prime numbers.

4. What is the proof of Fermat's Little Theorem?

The proof of Fermat's Little Theorem is quite complex and involves concepts from number theory and abstract algebra. It was originally proved by Leonhard Euler in 1736, and there have been several other proofs since then. A simplified version of the proof can be found in most high school or college-level mathematics textbooks.

5. Can Fermat's Little Theorem be extended to non-prime moduli?

Yes, Fermat's Little Theorem can be extended to non-prime moduli. This is known as Euler's generalization of Fermat's Little Theorem, and it states that if n is any positive integer and a is an integer relatively prime to n, then a^(φ(n)) ≡ 1 (mod n), where φ(n) is Euler's totient function.