How Does Dilution Affect the pH of a Solution?

In summary, a student who is struggling with chemistry is seeking help with a chemical calculation involving a diluted solution of HCI. The parent solution is 200mL with a pH of 5 and it is diluted with 600mL of water. The student is asking for assistance in determining the pH of the diluted solution.
bush
pleaz helpo me solve this chmeical calculation??

hiya everyone.. this is my first post and i knw i am asking for help i am so sorry.. but i hate chemistry and i havnt done it since 4 years.. so its kind of hard to put my chemistry mind back in order! :smile:
i need someone to explain this chemical calculation to me.. pleaazzzz
it will be a great help! :biggrin:

THE PARENT SOLUTION IS 200ML OF HCI SOLUTION OF PH=5. THIS SOLUTION IS DILUTED BY ADDING 600 ML WATER. WHAT IS PH OF DILUTED SOLUTION?

i will be looking forward for da help!
thank u in advance!o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! I understand that chemistry can be challenging and it's great that you're seeking help. I'm happy to assist you with this chemical calculation.

To solve this problem, we need to use the formula for dilution, which is M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 and V1 are the initial molarity and volume, and M2 and V2 are the final molarity and volume.

In this case, the parent solution has a volume of 200 mL and a pH of 5. This means that the initial molarity (M1) is 10^-5 M, as pH is equal to -log[M].

When we add 600 mL of water to the parent solution, we are essentially diluting it. This means that the final volume (V2) is 800 mL (200 mL + 600 mL). We can also assume that the final molarity (M2) is equal to the initial molarity (10^-5 M).

Now, we can plug in the values in the formula: (10^-5 M)(200 mL) = (M2)(800 mL). Solving for M2, we get 2.5x10^-6 M as the final molarity of the diluted solution.

To find the pH of the diluted solution, we use the same formula: pH = -log[M]. Plugging in the final molarity, we get a pH of 5.6.

Therefore, the pH of the diluted solution is 5.6.

I hope this explanation helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your chemistry studies!

Related to How Does Dilution Affect the pH of a Solution?

1. What is a chemical calculation?

A chemical calculation is a mathematical calculation used to determine the quantities of substances involved in a chemical reaction or process. It involves using the molar masses of the substances and their stoichiometric coefficients to calculate the amount of product formed or reactant consumed.

2. How do I solve a chemical calculation?

To solve a chemical calculation, you will need to first write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, determine the molar masses of the substances involved and identify the stoichiometric coefficients for each substance. Finally, use the stoichiometric coefficients to set up and solve the calculation using the appropriate mathematical operations.

3. What units should I use in a chemical calculation?

In a chemical calculation, it is important to use consistent units for all quantities involved. The most commonly used units are grams (g) for mass, moles (mol) for amount of substance, liters (L) for volume, and molarity (M) for concentration. Be sure to convert between units if necessary before solving the calculation.

4. Can you give an example of a chemical calculation?

Sure! Let's say we want to determine the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced when 25 grams of methane (CH4) reacts with excess oxygen (O2) according to the balanced equation: CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O. We first determine the molar mass of CH4 (16.04 g/mol) and CO2 (44.01 g/mol). Then, using the stoichiometric coefficients, we can set up the calculation: 25 g CH4 * (1 mol CH4 / 16.04 g CH4) * (1 mol CO2 / 1 mol CH4) * (44.01 g CO2 / 1 mol CO2) = 68.9 g CO2. Therefore, 68.9 grams of CO2 will be produced in this reaction.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in chemical calculations?

Some common mistakes to avoid in chemical calculations include forgetting to balance the chemical equation, using incorrect units or conversion factors, and forgetting to account for excess or limiting reactants. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure all units cancel out appropriately to ensure the correct answer is obtained.