How Does Ampere's Law Account for Changes in Magnetic Field Strength?

In summary, Ampere's Law states that the magnitude of magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density in a closed loop will be equal.
tdk123
hello everybody!
I have a problem with ampere's low.assume that we have an iron core with a winding in on side of it as sketched in the below image.we want to find H(magnetic field strength) and B(magnetic flux density) in the core in different condition shown in the right of image .the cross-section area of the core is constant in every points and we don't want to ignore core reluctance.in all of the conditions,the ampere loop, winding turns and the current pass through the conductor is constant. according to ampere's low, H must be equal in all of these conditions.but,simulations have different result and H change in each of the conditions.intuitively,the H should be different because of changing in the distance of winding from core.so,why ampere's low can't show the difference in H?

Attachments

• ampere.jpg
    ampere.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I twill help if you write down Ampere's law. Then you can notice that it isn't just "H must be equal" but rather it is an equation. And the equation has various parts. And those parts relate to the things that are changing in the different cases.

the ampere's low says:integration of dot product of H in l(where l is the unit vector of ampere loop that is tangent to path)over a closed loop will be equal to N*I.here ,we can assume that the angle between l and H in all of the points of ampere loop(shown in the image) is zero, so dot product converted to numeric product and we can say:the integration of (H magnitude)*(l) is equal to N*I.we neglect flux leakage(and the area of cross-section doesn't change ),so the magnitude of B and H is equal in each point of the core.and eventually the magnitude of H depends on N,I and l.in the above conditions all of these variables is equal so according to ampere's low H must be equal in all cases.(but it doesn't in fact)

Law. It is Ampere's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_circuital_law

I suspect that English may not be your first language. I apologize if that is the case. If I had to work in any language besides English I'm pretty sure I'd starve. But it's hard to look this stuff up if you don't spell it correctly.

So you seem to have a contradiction. What did you forget?

Are B and H really "equal in each point of the core"? How are B and H related?

Ampere's Law.I am really sorry for my mistake,but It is better to focus on the context of passage instead of its spelling problems(it is clear that I made mistake).I have read your mentioned page before writing this thread.yes,you are right. "and H" was superfluous,but you could understand it from the next sentences.the correct sentence is:"the magnitude of B equal in each point of the core".I'm sorry for my English,but please read my posts patiently and think about it and then answer to it!Thank you

Last edited:
tdk123 said:
Ampere's Law.I am really sorry for my mistake,but It is better to focus on the context of passage instead of its spelling problems(it is clear that I made mistake).I have read your mentioned page before writing this thread.yes,you are right. "and H" was superfluous,but you could understand it from the next sentences.the correct sentence is:"the magnitude of B equal in each point of the core".I'm sorry for my English,but please read my posts patiently and think about it and then answer to it!Thank you

Pretty sure I did answer your question. I said: So you have a contradiction. What did you forget?

What changes between your cases? Does the thing that changes appear anywhere in Ampere's Law?

DEvens said:
Law. It is Ampere's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_circuital_law

I suspect that English may not be your first language. I apologize if that is the case. If I had to work in any language besides English I'm pretty sure I'd starve. But it's hard to look this stuff up if you don't spell it correctly.

Ampere's Law.I am really sorry for my mistake,but It is better to focus on the context of passage instead of its spelling problems(it is clear that I made mistake).

and also, how about putting spaces after your full stops and commas... would make it a heck of a lot easier to read and understand than all your sentences just running together in one continuous stream of words

learn something new and make it easier for people to help you :smile:

Dave

Last edited:

Related to How Does Ampere's Law Account for Changes in Magnetic Field Strength?

1. What is Ampere's law and what does it state?

Ampere's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the magnetic field created by an electric current is proportional to the magnitude of the current and the length of the loop.

2. What is the problem with Ampere's law?

The problem with Ampere's law is that it does not take into account the displacement current, which is the flow of electric charge through a changing electric field. This means that it is not accurate in certain situations where a changing electric field is present.

3. Can you give an example of a situation where Ampere's law fails?

A good example is when a capacitor is being charged or discharged. In this case, there is a changing electric field between the plates of the capacitor, which creates a displacement current. According to Ampere's law, there should be no magnetic field present, but in reality, there is a magnetic field around the capacitor.

4. How was Ampere's law modified to account for the displacement current?

In the late 19th century, James Clerk Maxwell modified Ampere's law by adding a term for the displacement current. This modified law is known as Maxwell's equations and is considered to be more accurate and complete in describing the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

5. Why is understanding the problem with Ampere's law important?

Understanding the problem with Ampere's law is important because it led to the development of Maxwell's equations, which have been crucial in advancing our understanding of electromagnetism and have been the basis for many technological advancements. It also highlights the importance of considering all factors and potential limitations when formulating scientific laws and theories.