How does a Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer detect quantities?

BBChem42
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
So I am working on theoretical project that challenges my group to detect and quantify a certain molecule in a sample. For the detection and quantification we have chosen to work with a gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy. However I am finding difficulties in how this device is able to detect amounts of certain fragments. I am aware that there is a mass analyser that can detect fragments with a certain mass/charge ratio but what detects the amount of every fragment? Looking for a good source to read into this detection method or just straight answers here. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you give us some links to the reading you've been doing so far about how those types of instruments work? Thanks.

“TOTAL ION CHROMATOGRAM”

Good search term

Measuring current and counting electrons are basically the same thing.

Likes Mayhem
BBChem42 said:
So I am working on theoretical project that challenges my group to detect and quantify a certain molecule in a sample. For the detection and quantification we have chosen to work with a gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy. However I am finding difficulties in how this device is able to detect amounts of certain fragments. I am aware that there is a mass analyser that can detect fragments with a certain mass/charge ratio but what detects the amount of every fragment? Looking for a good source to read into this detection method or just straight answers here. Thanks
How does your mass spectrometer separate the various fragments after ionization?